Advice required: New Firebox purchase

We currently use a Symantec Gateway Security firewall for internal and external security. It is the former Axent product, upgraded and rebranded. I have had no issues with the appliance, but Symantec is ending development on the whole family of products.

I'm off to find a less dead product. I've arrived at a Firebox x750e with the UTM bundle and "pro" software. We're demo-ing it. I got a stellar price on the appliance. My major problems are the configurator application, and tech support.

To put it mildly, I have a problem communicating with the techs. First, it takes hours and hours to get responses. You don't call them, they call you. Then its a struggle to get them to understand your questions and problems. And its a struggle to understand their answers. I've gotten no satisfaction heretofore on any of my open tickets, and they were just config questions. I don't know what they are like in network down emergency.

The config app is the pits. Granted, the Axent and 1st generation SGS configurators weren't stellar, but they made significant improvments over the years. This app, while snappy, is terrible for more than a basic firewall config.

Should I just toughen up and push through the configuration issues... Will watchguard tech support be as responsive as they would need to be in a network down emergency?

Is there a better firewall out there for the same money?

TIA

Reply to
CG
Loading thread data ...

List your requirements, write them down and check models from diffrent vendors against this list of requirements. Maybe even test several of them.

Price is the last question when evaluating firewall products and a lower price might not be important if a product does not meet the technical specifications you demand.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

You might take a look at Sonicwall. One of their strengths is ease of configuration. I've had good and bad experiences with their support.

- Trevor

Reply to
Trevor

i suppose u r a We currently use a Symantec Gateway Security firewall for internal and

Reply to
Arjun

I've got 80+ Firebox units in the field, all of them were easy to setup and maintain once you understand the basics. If you've not had any training on firewalls then this will be a foreign thing to you.

The app is great for basic and even better for complex configurations, it's actually very easy to understand and easy to setup/configure.

Why didn't you get help from the Partner that sold it to you?

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.