TCP/video adapter?

Is there an adapter that will plug into a 10/100 UTP ethernet network and take NTSC video as an input. My goal is to utilize some existing security cameras that output NTSC video.

Audio input, too, would be an added bonus.

I know that there already network cams, but I'd like to not bin these nice surplus cameras.

Thanks!

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester
Loading thread data ...

Not sure what you mean. If you want to use CAT5 ethernet wiring to transport NTSC video signal: yes, that can be done. You can take the 'royal route', which is to buy devices called 'balun' to fix on both sides of the cable.

But in practice, even plain CAT5 cable works remakably well. (I have tried 15 meters. No indication that that poses a limit. Just my cable wasn't any longer :-) Make sure that you connect both the video signal and the audio signal over a 'pair'.

Reply to
Gerard Bok

I don't think that's what the original poster wanted, because it would not result in the NTSC video being transferred as TCP/IP (or UDP/IP). It would simply be analog NTSC over, for example, a twisted pair cat-5e cable.

There are adapter cards for PCs, however, that will accept NTSC as well as ATSC inputs, and will then allow the PC with its IP stack to transfer the resulting MPEG frames over an IP network.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Yes, I realised that. But using the cable for analog transfer is the only viable option in OP's case imho. If he wants to transfer NTSC over IP he should buy a 'webcam' device. That's typically a lot cheaper than buying a box that takes analog NTSC, MPEGs it, and transmits it as packets :-)

Reply to
Gerard Bok

If you want to convert NTSC to video tream tha can be viewed with a computer here are some links: MOXA Video Networking Products

formatting link
Video servers
formatting link
Video Server
formatting link
- the cross-platform media player and streaming server
formatting link
If you want just to transport video signals (NTSC in, NTSC out) through UTOP wiring designed to carry 10/100 UTP ethernet, then there are balun adapters that can convert NTSC video coaxial cabling to UTP wiring on one end and back to ciaxial cable on other end. Those will work when you have direct cable connection (no active devices between the outlets) and reasonable distance (few hundred meters). More information on this can be found hare:
formatting link

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.