Fiber Success - Netgear GS716T and GS724T models with LANBasics OT-2201 SFP modules

I'm just posting to let folks know that I've had success building a fiber-optic network with this equipment, using various names for things so it's more searchable. Though both models support SFP (Small Form-factor Pluggable mini-GBIC modules), it was still unclear whether LANBasics SFP modules would work in Netgear's equipment, but the pricing was very good.

The Netgear manuals say: "The two module bays accommodate standard SFP GBIC modules, such as the AGM731F or AGM732F from NETGEAR, allowing you to have fiber connections on your network." However, there's no specific mention of MSA-compliance (MSA = Multi-Source Agreement).

Some manufacturers *cough* Cisco *cough* program their equipment to accept only their brand of SFPs. The above statement assured me I'd not have that problem. However, Netgear support was not cooperative; I had issues which turned out to be cabling problems, but they were of no help troubleshooting, and said they know of no SFP modules that are compatible with their equipment other than their own.

The LANBasic SFPs are standard MSA-compliant SFP mini-GBIC modules. So I expected the equipment to work together!

Once I realized that the fiber supplier had given us straight-through cables instead of the normal (or fiber-optic connections) crossover cables we'd ordered, and fixed and cleaned them, things worked well.

This was done with MM (MultiMode) fiber - 62.5 micron, duplex LC - terminated.

Reply to
Elvey
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.