VPN dial connects, but does not work

Does that make sense?

I am using a Dell M90 laptop running XP, and using Comcast from home. I am connected to the comcast modem directly. I am not going though any sort of wireless router/NAT device.

The VPN was configured for me in Arlington, Virgina. I am in Denver, Colorado.

When I tried the VPN from my office in Arlington, it worked. When I tried from my home in Denver, the VPN seemed to connect, I did not get any error messages, but it wouldn't work. I can not connect to any of the secure sites. I just get a "Page not found" error.

It would be difficult for me to get the laptop back to Arlington. Although, that is what the tech support people want. Comcast will not give me any help.

Is there anything I can try?

Reply to
walterbyrd
Loading thread data ...

Are you able to surf and use the internet before VPN (may have to disable a proxy)? Are you getting connected to the vpn or aren't you? Did you get prompted for a password? Did it get accepted and connect you, or did you get an error message? What does your 'ipconfig' look like once you 'connect'? Do you have a vpn IP and a physical IP? Can you ping the default gateway for each? If not, what are the results? What is your company's network/security engineer saying? Does he see you connecting? If/when connected to the vpn, can you do anything on the remote network (ie surf, email, chat, etc)?

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes. And I am not using a proxy.

you?

I seem to connect, I don't get any errors. But, I can not reach anything after I am "connected"

Yes.

My password is accepted and I do not get an error message.

Looks like I am connected to comcast.

Not that I can see.

No.

If not, what are the results?

I don't see a gateway for the VPN.

What is your company's network/security engineer saying?

He wants me to bring the PC in, but that is difficult. I am in Colorado, the company is in Virgina.

can you do anything on the remote network (ie surf, email, chat, etc)

I can not do anything the remote network.

Reply to
walterbyrd

Do you have the windows firewall enabled? If so, disable it then retry? Any other security software that you know of? You should see an IP for your LAN as well as an IP for your VPN or something is not working. I would suspect windows firewall or something similar for starters.

Reply to
Trendkill

The windows firewall was on. I turned it off, but the VPN still does not work. I am also running Mcaffe, but that does not seem to be blocking anything.

Any easy way to check for closed ports with XP?

Reply to
walterbyrd

Are you using a Cisco VPN client - if so what version ?

Do you know what the equipment that you connect to a t the other end is ?

If you are getting a succesful connection then your PC should be given an IP address assignment by the VPN server - depending on the VPN lcient you should be able to display that

Also you should tale a lookat your PC routing table before and after making the VPN connection using the DOS cmd route print - you should see that the default route changes after the connection is made - is that occuring

Reply to
Merv

Similar problem, different VPN client. I am now trying Juniper's VPN client. This time, I can not even log in.

I am told I need to have port 500 open. But I am using comcast, and that port seems to be closed. I downloaded a free utility called "Advanced Port Scanner 1.3." According to this utility, the only ports I have open are: 25, 80, 135, 139, and 445.

I called comcast, and comcast assured me that comcast does not block VPN traffic. Comcast told me that the only ports that comcast blocks are 67, 68, 135, 137,138,139,445,512,520,1080.

I tried telnetting to port 500, and got this:

Connecting To localhost...Could not open a connection to host on port

500 : Connect failed
Reply to
walterbyrd

Walter:

Keep in mind that I'm only seeing your post, and not those preceding it (deleted per my subscription settings).

Is the result not what you would expect given that ISAKMP is on "UDP" port 500, and Telnet uses TCP?

TCP port 500 would not be open.

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.