Migration to Rapid SPT

Hi Group,

in a next few weeks I need to upgrade a network from PVST to Rapid PVST. The design is a traditionell 3 Layer Network Two core switche, 20 distribution and maybe 300 Access Switche

My prefered way to upgrade is to start from the access level...and if all are upgraded (only for a pair distribution switche) I change on the two distri SW. The next step I go to the second access - distribution part...and also start again from access to distri....

and at least when all distri and access switches are upgraded I change the core switches

I don't know if this is the right way....can anyone confirm?

Any help are welcome....

greetz dennis

Reply to
dennis
Loading thread data ...

it is 1 way.

FWIW - "traditional" designs for campus depends on when you started and what you learned on.

But if you have to change anyway, now is a good time to see if you can come up with a new design rather than just speed up the old one (unless it is already perfect of course :) )

1 prefer a design that doesnt "need" spanning tree at all.

if you make every access switch a separate subnet and route at distribution / core, then you can let the routing protocol handle convergence.

At that point spanning tree is only there to take care of accidental loops, and isnt involved during topology changes.

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.