VLAN help

say i have four switches

and 5 vlans on one switch, these vlans being

Vlan1 Sales Admin Production Engineering

o say i have a trunk in vlan1 going to another switch, can i have this switch only having three of the vlans?

for example

could i have this switch only having

Vlan1 Sales Admin

would this still work in conjunction with the vlans on the other switch which had 5 vlans? I would repeat this step again only having a switch with vlans

Vlan1 Production Engineering

do you understand what I am attempting to do and if so would it work, providing all the vlans have the same names and same vlan numbers etc.

Thanks in advance

Christo

Reply to
Christo
Loading thread data ...

here is an example drawing i did quickly in paint, would this work correctly? providing all of the vlans are configured correctly, I am using catalysy 2950 switches, would the commands just be the regular commands for setting up vlans on 2950?

formatting link
Thanks again

Reply to
Christo

If I understand your question, no you couldn't do it that way. I would use VTP, one switch as a server, the others as clients, and then implement a switch port security policy.

(I am studding for the CCNA, and have booked to take the exam in 3 weeks, so I don't claim to be an expert, this is just my opinion. If I am wrong etc or if there is a better way let me know comments would be appreciated.)

Reply to
corb

Any other questions you may want to ask here:

comp.dcom.sys.cisco

Reply to
corb

Yeah.

You can do it with VTP, and prune unused VLANs, but it looks like you want to implement some security.

Well, the simple thing is just not assign any access ports to the undesired VLANs.

However, it would be even easier to just specify which VLANs are allowed across the trunk.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

you can do this with or without VTP. if you are not using VTP you have to manually add each VLAN to each switch (but you knew that..right?). If you use VTP just prune the unwanted VLANs from the respective switch. but the idea using VTP and then not adding switchports to the unwanted VLANs would work too.

Reply to
mike jones

I just learned VTP i think i will probably be using VTP on the main central switch and then just not adding any switchports on the VLANS not in use on other switches

Thanks

Christo

Reply to
Christo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.