SQL ?

I'm seeing quite a few jobs that require SQL. Is this something I should be studying on my own time?

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

Remember that job descriptions are posted by human resources personell. They may not be aware of the seperation of technologies.

When I used to look for job listings, I found many database jobs requiring SQL knowledge in comparison to the demand for PC and server tech jobs. It seemed like database jobs and networking jobs were both in demand and offering better pay due. With the surplus of people available for PC and Windows server positions, there seemed to be a shortage of available people to work on databases and networking in large corporation environments.

If you want a job as a database administrator, you should probably consider that the databases will be huge and that you will be in a department in a large company doing nothing but database work. Actual database platforms would more likely be DB2 or Oracle than just Microsoft SQL like what you could run in a lab at home, although Oracle does offer a demo of their server.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.