Redistributing RIP & EIGRP

I have a 2650 router which has 2 serial sub-interfaces connected to our service provider's FR network. The WAN link networks between the

2650 and the service provider are 10.250.1.252/30 and 10.250.2.252/30. This in turn feeds to our remote sites (on 10.250.x.0/25). The service provider's running RIP V2 on their networks and up to our 2650 router. The 2650 is connected to the rest of our network via the Ethernet interface on 10.1.1.7/16. This network uses EIGRP. I need to run RIP on my serial interfaces and EIGRP on my Ethernet interface. I don't want RIP advertised on the EIGRP side of the router or EIGRP advertised on the RIP side so I entered:

router rip version 2 network 10.0.0.0 passive-interface fa0/0

For the EIGRP side

router EIGRP 10 network 10.0.0.0 passive-interface s0/0 passive-interface s0/1

My first question is do I run passive-interface on the interfaces or the sub interfaces, or does it matter?

My next question is how to have both sides of the 2650 router know the other networks. I've been told for both networks to know the other side of the router networks I need to redistribute. Would this be:

router rip version 2 redistribute EIGRP 10 default-metric 1

router EIGRP 10 redistribute RIP default-metric 1

Is this right? Someone also mentioned it could be done with static routes. Someone else mentioned a distribute list? Unsure of what to do. I just want it to work!

Any help greatly appreciated!

RB

Reply to
rb33339
Loading thread data ...

RB,

To start with, I'm not stalking you. I promise. (either you machine-gun posts into this newsgroup, or the one time every week or two I take a look, you've just posted something :-) )

First of all, is there any need to run RIP? Can the routers on the remote sites just be configured with a default route back to head office?

Not sure about where you need to run the routing protocols, but I'd guess it's on the subinterfaces.

On the EIGRP statement, you might want to turn off auto-summary and specify only the fastether interface for EIGRP (network 10.1.1.7

0.0.0.0) - that'll save you having to apply the passive-interface command for every single serial [sub]interface.

The redistribute commands look close, but for EIGRP you'll need to specify five parameters to the default-metric command, not one. Not sure whether you need the default-metric command in the RIP config or not.

If you just want to do a blanket redistribution (pass all EIGRP routes into the RIP process and vice versa) there shouldn't be a need to use a distribute-list.

And just to complicate things a bit more, if you absolutely have to run RIP, but don't want to distribute all routes over the WAN, you could use a distribute-list to only distribute a default route to the remote sites. You'll either need a default route defined on the router running RIP & EIGRP (and use redistribute static in the RIP config), or use the default-information originate (I think) command.

And you just want it to work? You ask for too much!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Reply to
Brad H

You are a worry, but a welcome one Brad H! The service provider's running RIP throughout their routers going to the remote sites, so RIP will be running up to at least the last hop before our 2650.

The auto-summary mighe be an idea, although there's only 2 passive-interface statements I'd need.

I guess the only real benefit in not redistributing everything between RIP and EIGRP would be cluttering the EIGRP network with several other RIP WAN networks.

I'm thinking the last option might be the best; static route on the HO router to the remote site networks using the next hop adx of the service provider. Then redistribute the static routes into the EIGRP network.

BTW I know you like to look :)

Reply to
rb33339

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.