Frame Relay Lab

Hi All,

I am trying to practice setting up frame relay to study for my ICND exam. The labs I am reading through are using an 'Adtran Atlas550 Frame Relay emulator' to simulate the frame relay cloud.

I currently have 3 routers, 2 x 2501s and a 2503 - all have an 1 x ethernet and 2 x serial interfaces. Can I create a frame relay cloud with what I have? Or do I need to buy another router with more serial ports?

If I need to buy another router - will a 2522 do? The one I was looking at has 2 x serial and 8 x low speed serial interfaces. Will I be able to plug the serial from the 2503/2501s into the low speed serial interfaces on the 2522?

Should I not bother and just use a software simulator like dynamips?

Reply to
Brad
Loading thread data ...

Dynamips is not a software simulator it is a hardware emulator, kinda of like vmware which emulates hardware for a OS to install on.

Dynamips has support for an integrated frame relay switch and you can configurefull and partial mess clouds. It is great for studying frame relay, it is fairly simple to configure dynamips to do this.

Reply to
Freeride

Another option is to use a router instance (7200, 3600, ...) as a frame-relay switch.

Reply to
Christophe Fillot

- The 2522 is ideal for FR switch simulation. You can connect its low speed ports to the other routers.

- You can use your 3 routers to practise FR. Set up one as a switch and connect the other 2 to it.

- Dynamips is also good for practising FR

Reply to
kika

I have a 2514 with 2 x serial ints which I configure as the frame switch. Then I have a 1600 and a 1700, both of which connect to one of the serial ints on the 2514. What more do you need?

Reply to
Den

Are you suggesting to use dynamips to run a 7200, and then somehow connect my real routers to this instance?

How would I do that?

Reply to
Brad

Are you able to setup multi-point connections with this? I would have thought you would only be able to do point to point with this.

Reply to
Brad

Just use dynamips/dynagen for the routers and the frame switch, it is very easy to install on Windows and can do a full frame relay lab. If you have a decent cpu with a gig of memory you should be able to get four 7200 or

3600 routers up in dynamips and configure a frame lab.

formatting link

Reply to
Freeride

Thanks,

I now have a few frame relay labs setup :-)

Reply to
Brad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.