Cisco 2501 with hub?

Take this scenario in: T1 line, 4 Computers, 1 Network Printer, Cisco 2501 T1 Router

How well would it work if I just used an Active hub to allow additional connections to the Cisco router?

I just want to setup something very simple for someone, however I can use a switch if the above scenario doesn't work well. I was thinking about using an intelligent hub.

Thanks

Reply to
ChaosBlizzard
Loading thread data ...

You'll need an Ethernet transceiver to go from the AUI (15 pin) Ethernet connector to a RJ45 for the connection to the hub (or low-end switch). Use a 8-port hub or switch. Then cable the router to one port of the hub-switch and the other devices to the other ports. Do _not_ use the 'uplink' port on the hub/switch to connect to the router (unless you can turn off the 'uplink' feature or have a cross-over Ethernet cable). A T-1 will work quite well for these users. Of course, you have a DSU/CSU between the router's serial interface and the T-1 from the carrier, right?

BTW, my troubleshooting 'kit' includes a 8 port dumb hub and a selection of known good Ethernet cables. The dumb hub allows you to capture/analyze traffic without setting up a SPAN port, which I'm not aware of _any_ low-cost switch being able to do.

JM2CW.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

The router has a built in DSU/CSU unit. Yes, I know not to use the uplink for a bridge over connection like that. I don't think a hub would hurt them much, not with such a low amount of nodes.

Also, why can't I just plug a Cat5 cable from > > Take this scenario in:

Reply to
ChaosBlizzard

A 2501 does NOT have a built in CSU/DSU nor does it have any built in ethernet ports. A 2501 has 2 DB60 serial ports and 1 built in AUI port. If it is really a 2501 that you have you will without a doubt need a CSU/DSU with a acb-v35 cabke as well as a AUI tranceiver to plug the ethernet into.

Perhaps you have a different model router?

As far as a hub, why the heck would you do that? You can get a cheapo linksys 8port 10/100 switch for less than 50$. Hubs are bad news and shouldn't be used in this day and age.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Red This and run fast beyond my 1600. Taken a crossover (indeed very happy to use that old crossover cable there useless, and have a brand new straighthrough to use where it was missing). Plug from eth1 to uplink in the switch...NAA..didn't work!! Too good to be ok!! What switch do you use from a Cisco (or router) to a uplink getting it to work too? Yeah, i havent a superYeah switch Catalyst or something to plug crossover too, but if it works i though it was ok it too. Going to try at school plugging a crossin a superYeah 2950. Please let me know ( my switch is a 30 bucks 10/100 writtenontheboxAUTOeverything 8 port+uplink writtenonthebox stackable).

Reply to
mega

Not if it is a 2501. 2501 has 2 HD60 serial ports and one Ethernet AUI connection, plus the con and aux ports. If you have a built-in dsu/csu and rj45's for the Ethernet, then you _do not_ have a 2501.

So, which model of router do you have? if it is a modular router (there are/were some modular 25xx series) then which modules are installed?

Jason.

Reply to
Jason

brian, I don't recommend installing a hub for normal use, but having a dumb hub for troubleshooting purposes (you can capture all packets between devices, which you can't do with a switch unless you can set up a SPAN port) is a must in my kit.

Yea, and he does not have a 2501 if it has builtin dsu/csu or rj45 for Ethernet. maybe one of the modular 25xx's (was it a 2525?).

Jason.

Reply to
Jason

uuummmmm,

Huh?

I don't follow what you are trying to say.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Yeah, I have a higher end router; I mixed the model number up in my head with another. The unit does have a built in DSU/CSU.

I would use a hub because CISCO says it's quite fine to. I was never taught they were a bad thing, and they can be useful.

I guess I could use a switch, but that's just something else that needs a detailed configuration, and for just 5 nodes; is it worth it?

Reply to
ChaosBlizzard

Reply to
ChaosBlizzard

You can get a quite inexpensive 8-port switch that does not need to be configured.

Here is a small selection of hubs:

formatting link
and switches:
formatting link
HTH,

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Way saying: didnt know i can use the uplink port in a switch with a crossover. In fact, it doesnt work on my switch.. it works only with straighthrough

Reply to
mega

hhmmm,

think of it this way: 'normal' ports on a hub/switch are DCE. A client device (e.g. router or computer) is a DTE. An 'uplink' port is a DTE interface, whereas all the other ports are DCE. The 'uplink' port is intended to plug into a normal port of another hub/switch.

An 'uplink' port does a cross-over inside the port, so you can use a normal Ethernet patch cord (straight-thru) to connect to a device port of another hub/switch. So, if you want to connect the uplink to another client device, like a router or computer, you'll need either a way to turn off the internal cross-over (typically the uplink port will have a push-button next to it), or externally use a cross-over cable, which in effect cancels out the internal cross-over.

Or, I _could_ be all wrong. But that's the way my 4 and 8-port netgear, linksys, and several off-brand, hubs/switches work.

Jason.

Jason.

Reply to
Jason

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.