Single Cat5e for Computer Network & Telephone?

That's not creating energy. It's merely conducting energy from another source, such as a radio station. Then again, if that was a problem, it wouldn't likely require the presence of a phone line in the CAT5 cable to make it one.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, corroded connections can generate harmonics, but they still cannot create energy. It can, through the generation of harmonics, affect the frequency distribution of the energy, but not create more than there was to begin with. And again, the harmonics will have reduced amplitude with harmonic order. It's been a long time since I've looked at the harmonic distribution of a perfect half wave rectifier (the best you can get with a perfect diode), so I don't recall the exact details. However, here's some info about harmonic distribution, in both full and half wave rectifiers. Don't forget, corrosion is not likely to form a "perfect" rectifier, so the amount of harmonic energy will be even less.

formatting link
I've never claimed a perfect world, but some people seem to be making some extraordinary claims about potential problems, without examining the real world facts, that must follow the laws of physics. Incidentally, a phone line that generates significant levels of harmonics, does so by creating significant levels of distortion in the desired signal. Such a line would not go unnoticed for long.

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

Exactly. Pure lazyness on the part of the phone company; in this country the phone company is a 100% pure monopoly (hopefully not for much longer though), so they can get away with anything. The typical installation is 'drop a line from the nearest pole, run it through the nearest ventilation duct (saves the trouble of having to drill a hole through the wall), and terminate it in a little plastic box with 3 surge protectors and a telephone jack.

Finding (or creating) a decent ground point is way too much trouble. Besides, the exchanges are properly protected, all that will break is CPE, which they don't care about.

Reply to
Jack Masters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.