CATV "network interface" box tool

I have a customer who wants me to relocate their cable modem as part of a larger installation. Unfortunately, the box outside where the service line connects to the inside wiring requires a special tool to open it. Is the necessary tool common to most boxes? What is the tool called? And finally, where can I buy one?

Reply to
Michael Quinlan
Loading thread data ...

Totally depends on the lock -- there are several different ones used.

Is it basically moving the cable modem to another outlet in the house? If so, you may have to get their cable company out to open the box.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

The cable modem is being relocated to the basement, on the structured cabling distribution panel. There is currently no cable service to that location. The only location with cable service is on the 2nd floor, where the cable modem is currently located.

Looks like the path of least resistance is to cut the existing cable and relocate it to the basement, without disturbing the box outside. I was hoping that I could find a universal tool that would help with this installation, as well as future installations where I don't have such an easy workaround.

Reply to
Michael Quinlan

Check EBay, they have a number of them cheap. What part of Jersey do you cover ?

Reply to
Sonny

We cover all of NJ, but typically our work is concentrated in central NJ - leaving Comcast and Cablevision as the local CATV providers.

I would think that each provider uses a common lock throughout their service area, or at least within regions of their service areas.

The problem I have with looking on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter) is that I don't know what I'm looking for.

Reply to
Michael Quinlan

try catv security.

Reply to
Sonny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.