What up with Comcast DNS?

X-No-Archive: Yes

Comcast's DNS servers seem to be flaking out again. When I change my DNS settings to a DNS in China, from a list posted as a service to those who want to circumvent geographic restrictions imposed by PPlive now, I have no problem getting out, but if I remove those settings, I cannot get to any sites

Is there a list of DNS servers, other than in China, that I can use, when Comcast's DNS servers go on the blink? The problem is that if I use a Chinese DNS, I get censored by the "Great Firewall Of China", so I need a list of DNS servers, other than those in China, if there are any around.

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

You appear to be in California. hope you are not one of the customers sold to Timewarner.

You might use

formatting link
public domain dns server ip address in the first box.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Look for 'Treewalk' dns server for desktops. Been using it for years to bypass comcast.

Reply to
Kenw

A list was posted in the BBR Comcast Forum here:

formatting link
mady

Reply to
mady

In the WinXP Command Prompt window, type:

nslookup DomainOfYourChoice

where "DomainOfYourChoice" is the full domain name of which you want to know the DNS servers' address(es). You'll probably get the closest one if there are many.

Another way is to go to a website that has a 'whois" service, e.g.

formatting link
and click on Whois down near the bottom of the page, and enter the full domain name. You'll get the names and IP addresses of 2 domain name servers for that domain.

AFAIK, DNS servers don't require any kind of identification for their use.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.