Is PPPoE embedded or software on the Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 ?

Is PPPoE embedded or software on the Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL Modem?

Here is a quote from the data sheet

WAN protocol modules

- Bridged Ethernet over ATM (RFC 2684)

- Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (RFC 2364)

- Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet · embedded client · 3rd party clients (NTS, WINPOET, RASPPPOE)

How can the modem have an embedded PPPoE client, and then need a software client? (is it referring to an embedded pppoe client when it says embedded client?)

also, isn't it usually routers and modem/routers that have embedded pppoe clients. not plain modems like this seems to be.

Reply to
jameshanley39
Loading thread data ...

I'd read the specs as saying that it does: "Supports PPPoA,PPPoE and LAN functionality" ()

While I haven't worked with a SpeedTouch 330 specifically, several ADSL devices are both modems (which require a separate client) or routers (which don't) depending on configuration. I've seen DSL providers ship GVC or Efficient Networks devices capable of operating as routers but configured as modems just for simplicity (and most of the big ones won't tell you what the password is so you can't change it.) I would guess that the SpeedTouch 330 could be configured either way.

Reply to
Geoffrey Welsh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.