ADSL router getting hot possible ???

Anything is possible.

My Speedstream 5861 runs very hot, but that does not affect performance. It does shorten the life of the power supply.

Currently I use a Westell 2200. It runs moderately hot. That doesn't seem to affect anything (yet).

-------

I have had problems with an older computer (no longer in service). It would overheat, and apparently push some component outside its normal operational range. It required power off/ power on to get it working again. When this sort of thing happens, it is typically a single component that is excessively sensitive to heat.

-------

My guess: I suspect that the technician is spinning a story -- especially if he diagnosed remotely. But it wouldn't hurt to pick up another modem from eBay. If the problem occurs with a different modem (preferably different model entirely), then that would pretty much rule out modem problems and point to line woes or house wiring problems.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert
Loading thread data ...

I have been using an SMC ADSL wireless router in my small home network and connect to ADSL permanently. Recently the connection dropped out and after messing around turning it on and off etc , the engineer announced that the problem was caused by it getting too hot. Is this feasible? Could it stop working till it cools down? I don't think it feels hot and I have never h heard of such a problem but perhaps someone can put me straight on this. Thx,

Reply to
-keevill-

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.