Re: Getting Serious About the War on Spam

Pat,

I hate to discourage you, but as somebody who has been on the Internet even longer than you (since the ARPAnet in 1978), and who has paid some attention to the legalities (since telecom regulation is much of my consulting practice), I have to say that Robert Bonomi is right and both you and Lisa are wrong.

The Internet is anarchy. Still is. ICANN is a paper tiger. It got its authority from Bernie Ebbers, and held on by inertia. Really.

The "Internet" is not a legal entity. There are multiple backbone networks. Each is a private entity that carries what it feels like, and charges what it can. "Peering" means that both sides agree that they value each other's connections, and thus don't charge each other. "Upstream" means that a provider sells service to a smaller one. It's a wonderful example of free-market economics. No regulator could have dreamed it up; no tariff could have described it. And it only works

*because* there is no one ISP with enough market power to make the rules.

Before 1992, there was NSFnet, with federal funding and an Acceptable Use Policy which kept it rather noncommercial. That was the main backbone. There were also lots of private IP networks, many not connected to each other or any backbone. They could still get "public" address space from Jon Postel, who controlled the addressing. There were some other inter-organizational IP networks. By then, TCP/IP had largely fulfilled the original OSI mission (open system interconnection) while completely bypassing the OSI standardization processes. It took a different route to ubiquity -- free code.

Suffice to say that there was some effort made to derail a proposal that would have given ANS CO+RE (a joint venture of MCI, IBM and the University of Michigan's MERIT) a monopoly on commercialization. Once NSFnet was privatized and the AUP thus ended, multiple backbones popped up. The industry organized itself rather nicely between 1993 and 1995; the phrase "at Internet speed" was actually meaningful. But again, NOBODY was in charge. Jon handed out addresses, and DNS names went from being free to $100 to $70.

Jon died suddenly, and Melvin Dummar found a will in his name, giving control of the name and address space to a Washington lawyer named Sims, who created ICANN out of whole cloth, appointing a board. At least that's as good an explanation as I can figure out for how ICANN came about. The US Government gave ICANN backing, but there was no real legal authority to it. Sometimes an assertion of authority is good enough.

ICANN claimed to have authority over the name and number space. Addressing (numbering) hasn't been all that controversial -- there are regional registries that hand out IP blocks to ISPs. ICANN hasn't tried anything dramatic there. In the name area, ICANN managed the split between registrar (made competitive) and registry. They set rules that registrars have to follow to get certified, and name a single registry for each top level domain (TLD), like .net, .com. etc. They haven't, however, pushed hard against the country-code registrars that Jon had appointed. Mostly they've spent oodles of time and money creating TLDs like .aero and .museum that are rarely used.

What can they do about spam? Frankly, nothing. They control TLDs. That gives them some leverage against the registries and registrars, who are supposed to follow some rules, but if a registrant pays his $8 or whatever and buys a domain from some registrar, then he can use it for spam until the registrar pulls it. Since registering is automated, there's no real threat against spammers. Even the address-space threat is not helpful; spammers are often able to find vacant number blocks and sneak them onto networks long enough to do their damage. And the bulk of spam nowadays is sent via hijacked home PCs running spambot malware, not spammer server farms the way Spamford used to do it.

Indeed, the truth is that if the Internet community in general got mad enough at ICANN, it could bypass them. ICANN's power comes from its control over the DNS root servers. Big ISPs feed their DNS servers from the ICANN-blessed roots. But if the ISP decided to use an alternative root, or if an end user decided to use an alternative DNS service (and they do exist), then it would still work. However, there would be some risk of conflict, if two different root servers assigned the same name to different addresses. That's the "nuclear option", to use a currently-popular phrase. This didn't happen during ICANN's controversial birthing phase because they got Bernie on board, when his UUNET was the top ISP, its reputation was good, and Vint Cerf (the Chauncey Gardiner of the Internet, famous for being there) was his sexy spokesmodel. The other big ISPs fell in line too, with some grumbling. But there's no law binding anyone to use ICANN-blessed roots, just an understanding that it's better, for now, than letting names clash.

And the harm from numbering clashes would be even worse, if that started to happen. But the answer would not be for some "authority" to clamp down, since there is none; it would be for ISPs to be selective about whose BGP route advertisements they accept. A technical solution, if unpleasant.

So can anybody do anything about spam? Well, maybe, but pointing the finger at ICANN won't do any good. Spam exists, frankly, because at the time the core protocols of the Internet was invented, it was a private network, which you couldn't attach to without permission, and such misbehavior was not tolerated. The appropriate response is technological. Yes, laws help too; I have no problem with levying massive civil penalties, criminal fines, jail time, and perhaps lengthy visits to Guantanamo Bay on spammers and the people who hire them (follow the money!). But that is unlikely to do a lot of good alone.

I suggest that we need to rethink email, especially the "free" aspect of it. I've had a proposal out there on my website for quite a while

formatting link
. It requires emails to be either a) sent by someone you already know, for free (this would include mailing lists like the Digest), or b) accompanied by a "stampette", basically a one-time certificate, purchased from an issuer that the recipient recognizes as trustworthy. This puts a price in the fractional-penny range on "stranger emails", enough to discourage spam but not normal use. While John Levine hates it (and I respect his opinion), I still haven't seen any ideas I think are better. Others might come along though. This is all done at the mail-service-provider layer, either your ISP or on your own server. It doesn't involve the highway owner (backbone ISP) or the sign posting company (ICANN). Microsoft has even had useful contributions to the anti-spam dialog. We have to focus the attention on methods that can really work, not on scapegoats.

Fred Goldstein k1io fgoldstein "at" ionary.com ionary Consulting

formatting link

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: In other words, John Postel gave away something he did not really own, and attorney Sims went along with the scam. I've heard about Sims and ICANN before; how he 'created' it as sort of a figment of his imagination and handed over the name and number space to them. I've also heard about Bernie Ebbers and his connection to ICANN. Yes, Lisa, that's the Bernie Ebbers of MCI infamy, the one who was recently convicted of accounting fraud and the fellow who will soon be in jail for 85 years, unless the judge chooses to show mercy to an old man. In the past, whenever ICANN needed money for one of their vacation/conventions somewhere, Vint Cerf would get the money for them out of MCI's largesse. Now days of course, netters help pay for those vacation/convention flings through the extortion ICANN uses on them through the registration 'fees'.

Fred, you mention ICANN is essentially a 'paper tiger' with no real authority, but however they came to get their 'authority' from the United States Commerce Department, in any event they have it now, the 'authority', I mean. Do you agree with my assessment that ICANN is happy with the mess things are in now? They wouldn't want to change anything at all, would they? I mean, was the construction of the contracts now used totally an accident? I don't think it was. They could have said *something* about the ever present maliciousness and malfeasance if they had _really wanted to_, am I right? But they didn't want to, did they? Its better to get the small websites out of the way, wouldn't they agree with that? Is ICANN still getting their largesse out of MCI via Vint Cerf if you know? PAT]

Reply to
Fred Goldstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.