XP wireless survey greyed out

The first wireless client connected to my laptop was a linksys usb wireless g adapter I installed the adapter drivers, site survey tool and the XP WPA patch (supplicant) The linsys connection to my WRT4G AP worked great.

Since then I've been testing an Orinoco wireles B gold card (PCMCIA) and can't get it to connect . I removed all security settings from the AP and set it to B only mode, verified that the AP and PC card were operating on the same channel and even uninstalled the Linksys site survey form the laptop.

The XP site survey tool comes up greyed out and the Orinoco client manager seems to be fully integrated with the XP suvey.

Clear as mud? Thoughts on how to "activate" XPs survey.

The Linksys survey works well but I'm trying to learn "the hard way" how to set up wireless connections using various methods.

The Linksys install disable something?

Reply to
ssadale#nospam#yahoo.com
Loading thread data ...

Got another device to try it? I have to laugh, did you ever consider it may be that orinoco card, rather than your linksys router?!?!? I wonder why you automatically assume it must be the router rather than consider the possibility it may be the card. Try it with something else, and if it has problems, it's probably the router, if not, it's probably the card.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Knew it was something stupid @#% !! The Linksys manager disables the XP wireless Zero service on my laptop Turn the service back on and Voila both APs visible and available using XPs wireless configuration. Thanks

Reply to
ssadale#nospam#yahoo.com

On my WindowsXP-SP2, an Orinoco Silver works fine with the Client Manager

2.90 7.64.1.316 7/15/2002 from sr02_winxp.zip. When I click on the Add/Edit configuration Action, it brings up the WinXP Wireless Networks panel. I have Wireless Zero enabled, and I have checked "Use Windows to configure my Wireless network settings". It seems that the Orinoco client won't function by itself on WinXP. If I uncheck that box, the View Wireless Networks box comes up with no networks, and a message telling me to go enable that checkbox.
Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.