WPS attack?

formatting link
I was looking for the youtube video on skyhook to trace MACs, but stumbled upon a video for "reaver". This looks like hacker code that exploits WPS.

Reply to
miso
Loading thread data ...

For mon0, does that mean you run kismet, or is there another monitor program.

I don't have backtrack, but I did find a repo with reaver, so I have wash now.

It is always a good idea to hack yourself. At any one time, there is probably some bored teenage boy within wifi reception range. Not to mention bored adults with time on their hands. Oh, and NSA field agents.

Reply to
miso

For capturing packets, I use Kismet on Linux.

When I feel like tinkering on Windoze, I use NetMon 3.4. etc...

Want me to snail mail a DVD to you?

Yep. Most of the security problem I find on my own systems were created while testing something else.

"Only the paranoid survive". (Andy Grove)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Given the growth of Arm, I guess somebody at Intel wasn't paranoid enough.

Oh I can always download Backtrack. I just never saw the need to have the entire package. I know there are live-cds as well. But I rather just put the one or two programs I need in my own linux. Otherwise you have to learn the quirks of another distribution.

I'll fire up kismet. I was looking for the kismet "capable" dongle when I did the previous post but now I remember I had stashed it in the car. Someone wanted a kismet demo so I set up the high gain patch antenna and sniffed from the Berkeley hills where we were doing some other radio stuff.

Even in 2013, you still find people using no encryption or WEP, which I suppose is like no encryption, though few people would actually WEP crack a router that they didn't own. That is, most people do this stuff for the education.

My new phone has RFID, so I was sniffing it with a HF radio today. RFID is a decent beacon. A portable radio can hear it about 5ft away. Obviously you could do better with a tuned loop. Time to go back and look at those old Defcon videos.....

Reply to
miso

True. I'm wondering what John McAfee has against McAfee Anti-Virus, which is owned by Intel. I don't think anyone saw that coming:

Backtrack 5 R3 hasn't changed for the last 9 months. Of course, it probably will be updated as soon as you learn the quirks and tricks.

Open source RFID receiver and decoder:

Note the antenna:

HF antenna cookbook from TI Amazing...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The TI doc is a good one. I'm not sure why a copper tape antenna is better than just plain copper wire. You may recall Gertrude Stein's commentary that "a loop is a loop is a loop."

I have a number of North Hills 1301LB transformers.

The datasheet is tough to read, but it is on the list. Basically it is

75 ohms unbal to 124 ohm bal from 1kHz to 20MHz.

I was thinking of a small coil to couple to the phone, one of the transformers, some TV coax, another transformer, then a big ass loop antenna. That way I don't have to mess with any software since the phone can read and program tags.

Most of the phones with NFC have the coil on the inside of the back cover. You can get to the coil contacts with the back off, well if you are ballsy enough to connect directly to the phone. But I think the inductive connection is safer.

Probably air core on the phone side and ferrite rod on the far end.

Reply to
miso

More surface area. That gives it more bandwidth and less loss. That's also why magnetic loop antennas use soldered copper pipe. The circulating currents are so high, that any resistive loss anywhere in the loop, will make it unusable.

Mobius loop?

Looks good for 13MHz but might be a bad choice. At 13.56Mhz, you don't need a broadband anything. Narrowband will work. A tuned coil with an inductive tap or capacitor divider might be a better choice.

Were you planning on walking around public places with that derrangement? Perhaps one of the smaller loops, that are less obtrusive, might be a better choice?

You're going to get some loss, even so close. The problem is that you're building an air core transformer between the two loops, with no way to contain the radiation on the primary side loop. If you cram for example 1 milliwatt from the big loop to a coupling loop, the coupling loop will probably radiate about 9/10ths of the 1 milliwatt in directions that do NOT cover the cell phone loop. That's a -10dB loss. The re-radiated power is lost. However, you can compensate by building a 13.56 linear amplifier at the big antenna, or at the coupling loop, to compensate. The trick is to NOT turn it into an oscillator or regenerative receiver.

The only thing that ferrite buys you is a smaller antenna. Everything else about it sucks. Try to use an air core if possible. If you can't make it fit, then user ferrites.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you listen to Steve Gibson's "Security Now", people in the EU have been charged on their NFC phones before they even get to the register. I don't have the details, just what I heard on the podcast.Steve doesn't trust radio because it is hard to limit in terms of distance.

In the US, those Mobile speed pay things are NFC. In the bay area, the Clipper is NFC. Very confusing technology since some times you just tag to get onboard, other times you have to tag when you leave the train too. The first time I used a clipper on Muni, I had no idea it was a freaking NFC. Where is the slot, dammit! And you kids, get off my grass.

There are some NFC geocachases in Australia. I need to get a bit more skilled in programming the tags before I bug the official geocache website. Tag203 is the one that works with the most phones.

I like planting the caches way more than finding them. In fact, I'm kind of bummed the hobby has turned into a who can get the most number of caches, or worse yet, team caches. They don't linger in the area and poke around, then just rush off to the next cache.

I wisely turned down being in the Chron to be the first sucker to find a geocache in the bay area. The reporter was watching the chatter on the internet and tracked me down. As it turns out, I had to do a rather insane climb down a hillside because the cache was placed in a car that rolled off a road. I didn't realize that at the time, and given that the GPSs were not very good at the time, I figured the cache was by the road, not over the cliff. Nothing like having the press document that you are an ass.

Much like the person who put the geocache in a junked car, I try to put my caches in trash. I'm not convinced that geoaaches are not litter, but I figure if there is trash there already, a small ammo can won't make it look any worse.

The highway patrol removed a number of caches near roads because they were causing people to park unsafely by the side of the road. I had figured that out as well, so the caches I planted already have a spot by the road. As it turned out, nothing I planted got removed.

The NFCs I got are weatherproof. One type has a hole in the middle so it can be screwed into something, or just use the adhesive. The other tags are like keytags. I figure they could hang on a branch. Incidentally, tags that work on metal are a special class.

While I took care of the trash aspect, these geocachers have a high carbon footprint. I get email from cachers that live in Europe or the US east coast. I suppose if they are doing other tourist stuff, it is OK, but when I get reports that they found 500 caches on the trip, I kind of think they need a new hobby.

I think the offset caches are probably the best plan. No new code to write on the website, plus the cacher can't completely plan ahead since they don't know their final destination.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.