WPA Passphrases

I've been tinkering with my WAP this evening trying to create a secure passphrase and have found that some passphrases will not allow my Laptop to connect to my WAP.

I have tried using different combinations of uppercase, lowercase, punctuation marks, numbers etc and all works well. But when I increase the length and choose an even more complicated passphrase, my laptop gets stuck at 'acquiring network address'.

How can this be? Is there some sort of 'limit of complicated-ness'? I have definitely typed in the correct passphrase each time.

Thanks,

Kroma

Reply to
Kroma
Loading thread data ...

"Kroma" wrote in news:43c59822$0$23283$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

I've used long & random passphrases successfully with WPA many times. I've never heard of any limits other than it must be between

8 and 63 characters.

1) Are you certain you are typing in the correct key in the more complex cases? I avoid that problem by creating the passphrase and saving it in a text file on a flash drive or diskette. I can then open the file and copy/paste it into the setup screen for both the WAP and laptop with 100% accuracy.

2) Could be that there is some difference between the language or keyboard type settings between the PC that you use to set the passphrase on the WAP and the client laptop PC? The method described in 1) above should avoid such a problem.
Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow cried out

between

On my linksys, after inputing a passphrase you must hit the "generate" button to generate the acctual key then save your changes, and copy/paste that into the network key fields in xp...

Reply to
Rosco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.