Words to troubleshoot by

"The temptation to form premature theories upon insufficient data is the bane of our profession."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence, ... It biases the judgment."

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Sherlock Holmes

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Truer words were never spoken. Theorize could help, but those doing it usually don't have the talent for it. That's why real Field Engineers are paid $10,000 and expenses to clean up a mess made by those unqualified to do it. Many engineers and Techs. really aren't, but they provide job security for those who are. Thirty years on ships, aircraft, oil platforms, airports, almost every counry in the world can teach one some discipline. Don't ass-u-me for it will make one out of you and one out of me..regards

Reply to
Jack Daniels

John Navas hath wroth:

I like my versions better.

"The first step to solving a problem is to blame someone."

"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."

"The solution is always whatever was last in a series of wrong guesses."

"That which is most obviously correct, beyond any need of checking, is usually the culprit."

"If the product were any good, it would't need documentation."

"Assumption, the mother of all screwups."

"If I knew what I was doing, I would be designing these devices instead of fixing them."

"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me." (This is on my business card).

"Where there's smoke, there's fire, and where there's fire, there's usually someone that didn't follow instructions."

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however inconvenient, is usually the most expensive part to replace."

"Features and functions get added faster than bugs get fixed."

"Troubleshooting is best done by shooting the trouble maker."

Actually, I wrote more such words of wisdom back in 1994.

The technology is rather dated, but the horror stories and users are still with us.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ahhh, that was a good read. While I'm an in-house tech, there are plenty of similar situations I've found myself in. After 15 years I thought I couldn't be surprised any more. I'm proven wrong quite frequently.

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.