Wireless + Torrenting over 5 minutes = Connection drops

Before I delve into the problem I'd like to let everyone know that I have done my fair share of searching for related issues so please don't flame me if there's some sort of magical thread that will heal all my issues - the magical thread that I've completely missed.

In any case, here's a description of my issue.

Problem: Anytime I connect to my Linksys router via wireless and begin torrenting for over 5 minutes my connection will drop.

Some key points:

• If I'm lucky, it'll torrent for 10-20 minutes, but 50% of the time my internet drops within ~5 minutes.
  • This is a wireless only problem. If I connect via cable, everything is golden. I can torrent all night long.
  • I've only had this problem torrenting.

Things I've done (and haven't worked):

• Adjust MTU settings.
  • Adjust channel frequency of my router.
  • Upgraded router firmware
  • Used various bittorrent clients.
  • Upgraded device drivers.

My Specs:

Win XP (with all upgrades) Linksys Router WRT54G Intel PRO/Wireless Lan 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter.

Thoughts?

Thanks Darren

Reply to
darren.allarde
Loading thread data ...

Clarification on "Connection Drops"

When I say Connection Drops my Wireless device still says that it's connected to the router but no activity. If I try disconnecting/ reconnecting or disabling my device then re-enabling, the process freezes and I need to "end task"

Hope this helps.

Reply to
darren.allarde

Problem: users that post questions without giving enough information.

WHAT MODEL and version of router is it?

As for torrenting, try configuring your client to use a lower number of connections and/or speed. It's possible you've swamped the router with "too much" traffic.

Then there's also the chance your upstream ISP is filtering p2p traffic, or at least shaping it such that it ends up disrupting things.

There's also the question of ethics in using a p2p for stealing content...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hi Bill -

Wow! Love the welcoming response.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into configuring my bittorrent client to handle the number of connections a bit more gracefully so that it doesn't get "swamped".

To answer:

I had the model of the router in the original post (Linksys WRT54G). The version, I believe is 3. The firmware version is, v4.20.7

And just for fun:

Good point! Curse the wretched leaching, stealing, infidels!

I too worry about this - this god awful crisis - how do people sleep at night? I am fortunate that this is an issue which has not damaged my own personal, beliefs, morals and ethics, considering that 95% of the content I'm downloading via p2p is unlicensed anime.

Let me know if any other potential solutions comes to mind. I am eager to watch the latest episode of Naruto: Shippuden - this week is a one hour special!

Reply to
darren.allarde

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.