Wireless to wireless

I need to put a hub in a location where running cat5 is/could be a real problem (walls, holes, concrete...(wife)). I have: an Actiontec 704 router (with antenna) and a D-Link 4 port (with antenna). So I'm thinking 704 next to computer and DSL line, D-Link in remote location with equipment plugged in there - a wireless hub. I would like to keep the WEP going. So far I can't get any connection - same WEP, same channel, same subnet. Directions???????????? Thanks.

Reply to
Cal Lidderdale
Loading thread data ...

Concrete!

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:38:39 -0600, Cal Lidderdale wrote in :

You need a wireless client bridge to connect to your wireless router.

What is the "D-Link 4 port"? Does it have a wireless client bridge mode? If not, it won't work.

WEP is easily cracked. If at all possible, use WPA instead.

Reply to
John Navas

Wireless doesn't go through concrete. Give up while you're still sane.

The Actiontec GT-704 is a wireless router. My guess is that your "DLink 4 port with antenna" is also a wireless router. Wireless routers do not talk to other wireless routers (unless they both support WDS). This won't work no matter what you do.

More help after you spend a few minutes supplying accurate make and model information.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That I know - but to get a cable thru the wall where I wouldn't get nutered ... is concrete - now I could run it up the wall and punch a hole .. bout picture frame level - garooon-teede neuering. However wirelessly from the top of the computer desk (5ft) - staight shot thru the wall. Then all I hear is "Shees, what a geek!"

D-Link DL-624 - has to be the remote end Act.tex GT704WG has to be base, it has the DSL port :-/

If what I have on hand can't be made to work - recomdations for a wireless 'hub'.

Thanks

Reply to
chuck

You could cheat like I just did.. had to run a cable thru a cement block/load bearing wall.. Drilled a hole thru the wall, ran the cable, and then hung a long/big picture over it to cover both the hole and cable... Long as my sister never takes the picture off the wall, I'm safe.... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:10:05 -0600, chuck wrote in :

Consider powerline networking instead. Also phoneline and coax (TV cable) networking.

You mean wireless client bridge? One that can work through concrete? No such animals exist.

Reply to
John Navas

The concrete only goes up ~4 ft, wood frame the rest of the way up - it's the side of a walkout basement - but that's the direction I need to go. I've got the 2 routers - the Actiontec in use, the DLink just sitting there and I got to thinking .... hmmm AT as base, DL in garage, wouldn't have to drill hole(s), the DL is a 4 port, I could put the Single Board controler out there, a camera (best location for that).

A WCB you say - ok, ebay has: Sena NL-2611 CB3 Plus Multi-Client Long Range Multi-Client Bridge $42 1d+ to run, another $36 4d to run. Your thoughts???

Or I run cat5 the long way around. Hmmm, just called Actiontec. "Do you have a WCB? (works with 704). "No, sorry. But ... we do have a MegaPlug

85 IP Over Power module. (and a MP 4port, and a MP module with just an antenna). (And which one gets me the eggroll?????)

formatting link
$$!@^$^!$^%$#& why can't life just be simple?

(sigh).............

Reply to
chuck

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:08:49 -0600, chuck wrote in :

AKA Wireless [or Wi-Fi] Ethernet Bridge.

That would work, but is old technology. Other options:

• TRENDnet 310APB Wireless Access Point for .28 . Also old technology, but cheaper, and probably better documentation.
  • Hawking HWBA54G Wireless-G Multi-Function AP/Bridge for .81

(or ). Current technology (802.11g).

• Linksys WRT54G running 3rd-party firmware, either an old one (e.g., used on eBay) or a new WRT54GL. Look it up in Wikipedia to see the different versions and for info on 3rd-party firmware.
Reply to
John Navas

If it were easy, it would be no fun.

John listed off some good alternatives to wireless and some possible wireless products. Methinks direct wireless isn't going to work through the concrete wall, period.

Borrow the phone lines and use them for data (HomePNA). See: |

formatting link
Borrow the building cable TV coax and run ethernet over it. Both data and CATV can coexist on the same cable. |
formatting link
Power Line networking (HomePlug). |
formatting link
Drilling a hole and running CAT5 seems like the easist alternative. Please resist the temptation to shove the wire through the electrical counduit or wall boxes. It's not safe, a violation of the fire code, and will get you in very hot water with your insurance carrier.

A friend in Florida tells me that whenever he drills a hole for CAT5 or phone line, he always drills another hole nearby. Invariably, extra wireing seems to be required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not trying to be a smartass.. but why not buy a 100' of cat5 and go through the ceiling etc.. or behind floorboards etc..

You can also just share network and internet with the other side of the wall with an AP and a Wireless Nic in the other machine.. If you need multiple machines a bridge would work..

Jixter

Reply to
Jixter

formatting link
Right now I'm sitting at the 9 position just under that first white pot. Thru the ceiling is the kitchen. (and we're back to being nutered :-o ) I'm facing the 9, behind the desk is the foundation 4' high, above that standard framing. It's about 50' to the garage where I want the hub. You can see the garage roof at 10. Bottom line is I'm wanting to replace a web cam (donated) and runs off a program called Gspy.
formatting link
with an Axis 2100.

Bite bullet, cat5. Hey, me geek, - Rube Goldberg my hero - well not quite, but ... Laser out window to reflector on tree to garage window, modulate..... now that would be cool.

Reply to
chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.