Wireless Logon - Newbie type Question

I have a wireless card in my (Vista) laptop and mostly just use it on my home wireless network.

I am now traveling and have spent a couple nights in different hotels with "wireless internet".

In the first hotel I believe it was their problem.

In the second location I was able to connect to the hotel's router but not able to get an internet connection. The lobby said to log in with "guest" and "guest" (ID/PW). But I couldn't figure out how to get a logon screen. And I didn't care much so I didn't try much.

Tonight I had the same problem (although this time they gave me an ID and PW that made it appear like they actually managed their network to some degree).

I mucked around with all the connection, diagnose, disconnect/reconnect options that I could find. One finally let me to a URL specific to (from what I can tell) whoever built this network. I could access this URL (despite not being connected to the internet), typed in the ID/PW, and all worked fine. I'm guessing that this URL was actually 'hosted' by the wireless router.

Now for the question - what is the normal procedure for logging onto semi-public networks like you find in a hotel (when they require ID/PW)?

Thanks.

dave

Reply to
Dave Lee
Loading thread data ...

Start a browser. That will generally get you to a login screen. Once you get logged in, either with a free account or one you pay for, then the system will capture your MAC address and pass all requests from that device to the network.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Have you dealt with IPCONFIG?

for example:

formatting link

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

That sounds like the right answer - thanks.

dave

Reply to
Dave Lee

formatting link

Thanks for the reply - have dealt with it on rare occasions - didn't seem to be helpful in this case (possibly a lack of knowledge on my part)

dave

Reply to
Dave Lee

Its called a Captive Portal. You connect to their wireless, then open a web browser. It should automatically take you to the logon page. Once you logon, you can then access the internet as usual.

Reply to
Gummy Mummy

Thanks for the name/details, Gummy.

dave

Reply to
Dave Lee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.