Wireless G and Bluetooth Mouse

I have a classmate who tells me his Bluetooth mouse tends to get all "jerky" when he uses it at home. When he isn't home its fine. The batteries are fine according to him. His wireless router is right next to his work area - could they be interfering with each other? I told him to try using the machine and mouse in another section of the house and see what happens. I figure these routers are designed for people to roam 20 yards or so from the unit, not be right next to it.

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

Yes, if the BT is ancient. Many BT devices have AFH (adaptive frequency hopping) intended to prevent mutual interference. Oddly, most of the time, the intereference will trash the 802.11 connection, not the mouse, so I suspect something else is happening. Even the lower power Class 3 devices have at least a 1 meter range (my experience). The most common mouse problem I've seen is putting a mini-tower case on the floor, with a built in or USB BT adapter, and then trying to use the mouse through a metal desk. That won't work. Get a USB extension cable, and plant the USB dongle on the same side of the desk as the mouse.

Perhaps if you were expecting specific help, you might find it useful to describe or draw the layout and supply some specifics as to the hardware he's using? Numbers are very useful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.