Wireless for Power Mac G4 Cube

I'm lazy and fairly clueless about Apple MacIntosh. I also have a limited knowledge of Apple buzzwords and acronyms. That entitles me to ask dumb questions in usenet newsgroups. My apologies in advance.

My challenge for tonight is finding a wireless device for a Power Mac G4 Cube running OS/X 10.4.11:

The stock Airport card is PCMCIA and 802.11b WEP only. All my systems are 802.11g using WPA-PSK-TKIP. I don't wanna deal with old technology.

1. Is there an 802.11g PCMCIA card with WPA available?
  2. How do I deal with the antenna connector that only fits old Airport/Wavelan/Orinoco/Avaya/Agere/Lucent/Proxim/2wire/etc cards?
  3. If PCMCIA won't play "g" and WPA, where do I find a list of supported USB wireless clients?
  4. Is there an Airport Extreme (MiniPCI connector) to PCMCIA/CardBus adapter that will fit and hopefully work? Google didn't find anything but I may have been using the wrong buzzwords.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I think the prices are excessive but did you look at

Reply to
LR

Thanks. The Mac G4 Cube is for me, not a customer, so somewhat overpriced hardware is tolerable. Some people bring home cute looking cats and dogs. I bring home cute looking computers.

It appears they have what I need:

for $99. Ouch. No clue if their card will work or fit in the cube. It kinda looks like the cube only handles 16 bit PCMCIA cards, and not the later 32 bit CardBus cards.

I'll keep looking for a some commodity 802.11g PCMCIA wireless card with Mac OS/X drivers and support.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you decide to go the USB route I posted this link for Zydas drivers earlier and it has a list of adapters on the page.

The Zyxel G-220 listed I have for playing in Linux and XP. It comes with a SoftAp capability, however this only works with WEP but has occasionally proved useful.

Reply to
LR

1. lots of them
  2. ignore it, just use a laptop PC-Card / PCMCIA card supported by OS X.4, since that's what you're running (and offers your best variety of supported cards); Wal-Mart offers a Belkin for about US.00 as of last month. I've used a couple of the Belkin cards in other Macs; I haven't much experience with Cubes but if it works on PowerBook G3's I'd think it would work in a G4.
Reply to
dg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.