Wireless cafe public library?

I am on dial-up at this time. I need to download VS Net 2005 SP1 435 mb(s) and some other downloads of that size. Obviously, this is taking for EVER.

This laptop has a wireless card. Can I go to a public library or some other type of cafe and download, which has go to be faster than dial-up?

Reply to
Mr. Arnold
Loading thread data ...

I think the obvious answer would be yes. I'd reccomend buying a cup of coffee or reading a book as it's going to take awhile anyway.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

Most hotspot operators will limit your downstream bandwidth anyway to keep bandwidth hogs under control. If your going to pull that kinda size file it might be better to go to a friends house that have cable/DSL and use their bandwidth. It might be faster than a hotspot.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Simar

I also have dial up and use the public library to download large files via wireless laptop occasionally.

There is usually a download limit for a set period (eg week or month).

They dont like large downloads as it reduces the speed of other users online, howeverI've gone up to 200 meg without complaint.

You could use a download manager and do it in stages (ie. part download and then resume later) to spread it over several days.

The speed in our library is usually pretty good - about max for 54g wifi.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

I used the Real.com download manager to download ISO images via dialup. It would take days, poking along in the background while I was doing other things, but it would eventually finish.

Real.com doesn't offer that manager any more.

formatting link
a current free product from Sun.

Reply to
dold

Hi Clarence,

I was thinking more along the lines of spreading out the download over several days when using the library net so they wouldn't get upset.

But you could do it via dialup I suppose - take a long time though :-)

Either way, it should work.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

On 29 Apr 2007 10:23:25 +0950, "me here" wrote in :

That's not a good standard. What you are apparently doing is inappropriate and rude to other patrons.

What you should be (and apparently aren't) doing is throttling your speed sufficiently so as to avoid degradation of service to other patrons, taking no more than your fair share.

Probably only because most patrons aren't doing what you are doing.

Free public Wi-Fi is a classic case of Tragedy of the Commons. Eventually it gets (ab)used to the point that service becomes poor, and sophisticated and draconian measures become necessary.

I know of a public library that was being so abused by illicit filesharing that the free Internet access was completely shut down.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.