WIFI questions

HI all,

I'm quite new to this wireless revolution so sorry if I sound a bit vague. I've just move into a flat which already has a wireless network connected to the internet (is itscalled a wireless router?). I'm planning to get a laptop which I'd like to connect to this wireless network, and also to the wireless hotspots at my uni and at cafes, airports etc. Should I get a 802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g enabled card (what exactly is the difference?). Are there any cards that have all three protocols? Its important as I want to be able to connect wherever I go. Any responses would be appreciated.

Regards

NN

Reply to
Freshwater Spaceman
Loading thread data ...

Ok, I appreciate the replies. So if I get a card like this

formatting link
it should work fine wherever I go? I've also heard the builtin wifi capabilities on the new laptops are very shoddy (lower sensitivity etc.), is this true?

Thanks

NN

Reply to
nasefk

There are a/b/g cards but the most common hotspots are b/g. 'a' operates on a different frequency than b/g.

Reply to
johnny

Not at all. While it's certainly possible to build a laptop with worse RF performance than an add-on card, you'd have to work at it pretty hard. Maybe I'm spoiled, my Dell Latitude D600 has one of the best builtin wireless setups available...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

"Freshwater Spaceman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Get 11b/11g with WPA security. Most new laptops and adapters have this.

If you need to buy a separate adapter (PC Card or USB) they cost around £35 ($50).

11a is a technology dead-end. Ignore it.

11b supports 11Mbps and WEP security, which has significant weaknesses.

11g devices support 54Mbps and WPA security, which is superior to WEP. 11g devices also support 11b's capabilities.
Reply to
McSpreader

I have an intel card built into my dell laptop that works great (2200bg). Better than using a pcmcia card most times as I have one of those too. For the little extra get the more expensive intel card if offered by your laptop manufacturer (dell) it will pay off in the end with the sensitivity of it. Also download the intel software for the card and use that instead of Windows to configure your card when associating with hotspots.

Reply to
DS

Don't most laptops run the antennae along the edge of the LCD screen? I get much better signal with my corporate D600 with built-in Intel Centrino than with my Inspiron 6150 with LinkSys pccard.

Reply to
Dan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.