WiFi installtion assitance if possible

Hi people,

I have a small 10/100 network at home using a D-link hub. All pretty simple but works fine. Well until my wife bought a laptop with XP-home and wifi built in.

I have a computer in the garage attached to a milling machine that only has IDE slots and no PCI and it is on the 10-speed of the 10/100 wire-network. I cannot replace that computer as it has specific hardware to drive the cnc machine.

I have not been able to find a /G card for IDE (probably not surprising given the bus speed) so it looks like I will have to combine 10/100 wire and wifi.

I figured on using the Linksys WAP54G as the access point and we only have dial up (out in the boonies) so not sure how this will handle connection via an external modem.

Can someone please suggest what I need to make all this stuff work.

Thanks in advance.

Dave J

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

DUH, slapping forehead. I can blame old age!! Thanks.

The modem only has a D25 serial output.

That's a problem I have not been able to resolve. It seems no one makes a router for phone access anymore, they assume we are all DSL or cable. Can you suggest where I might get one OTHER than ebay. Just one of the "benefits" of country living. We are forgotten.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Oh, one other thing, I wanted to use the WAP54G so my wife can practice with her wifi connections as well. It will also allow my PDA to access the Internet via it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I think you mean ISA...

but anyways, get a nice wireless router which your wife can connect to wirelessly on her laptop. and it will also support the 10Mb computer in the milling area.

the internet comes into the house and hits the modem. the modem then goes to the router. and the router is hooked in a star configuration to all of the computers in the house, whether it's on a wire, or wirelessly.

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

Consider a Linksys WRT54G instead (a router and WAP combined, can be bought all over or even for about $54 at walmart, actually less than just the WAP at Best Buy!), and one of these

That's what I have also, allows connection to the network and can be used by both wireless and wired computers to share a dial-up connection..

I use it with my Compaq PDA too, can access email and share files over the network (I store MP3 music files on the network, and get/play em wirelessly when outside).

I live in a very rural area of northern idaho (no cable or dsl), gave up my sat internet and now use dial-up at about 21kb. The garge/workshed is about

1/4 mile away, rather than putz with long wifi links (especially thru the trees on my acreage), I ran a direct burial cable for power/phone/intercom/networking to the outbuilding.

They have several devices (more coming every day) that provide things like mass storage (check the netdisk at

formatting link
- I have two, 240 GB each!), DVR (no link but it's a Tivo 2), etc., by plugging into the ethernet ports

Oh, something someone told me a while back, WAP = Wireless Access Point, and WRT = Wireless Router (4 ethernet port router combined with a WAP in one box/one power supply)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Look for a 3Com 3c886a, they nolonger makje this model, but it can be found.. 4 port router with dial-up access modem. DHCP and you can connect to a switch if more ports are needed.. Had it for 2 or 3 years works GREAT...

Reply to
gene martinez

snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:42fa2fe5.19482872 @news.eclipse.net:

I used to have a netgear with a built in modem and router...don't remember the model, but i know it's out there

Reply to
Smowk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.