wifi antena

Here's what works for me.

When my onboard WiFi adapter can't connect with a network, I plug in my Hawking USB-connected adapter. You can see it at , but I only paid $40 for it at buy.com.

This minute I am using it to conect to a network 2.2 miles away (over water).

Reply to
Dave Rudisill
Loading thread data ...

Hello guys and girls,

need some advice about wifi antena. Got laptop with built in wifi Atheros AR5005GS onto Toshiba satellite A75. When in home am using D-Link DI-524, which is fine and works great with my cable modem from RR.

My question is, what kind of antena can I use when I am travelling to boost my signal or to find a signal where isn't present?? For example: if I am in hotel who doesn't offer wifi connection and when I have to pay for some slow internet connection, how can I find a signal somewhere else?? Few days ago I saw a guy having some wifi antena in window but didn't have a chance to talk to him about that. It was small and black antena, nice though.

Do you guys know by any chance what kind of antena do I need to buy for my wifi internal adapter in laptop??? Is it posible to buy or to make any antena what will work with my internal adapter or do I need to get something else???

Thanks a bunch.

Dino K

Reply to
dino k

It is tidal, but I haven't noticed any tidal effects.

I am clearly at the fringe of the usable area for this hardware/environment configuration. The signal drops out every couple minutes for a few seconds, then reconnects. Sometimes I can't connect for half an hour at a time, especially when there is mist in the air.

I have no idea what hardware is at the AP, except that it's a 2Wire Homeportal 1800.

I brought it up only as a suggestion for the OP, who wanted better range than he gets with his built-in WiFi adapter. The Hawking HWU54D is a terrific WiFi adapter.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Dave - Is the water tidal and if so how does it affect performance? I need a fixed point to point sytem line of sight over tidal water 1.5 miles. Both ends could use directional antennas and be about 40 to 50ft asl. 2MB only required. A pointer to hardware available and suitable in UK would be greatly appreciated. Mick

Reply to
Mick

Thanks Dave - I reckon I stand a good chance with a directional antenna at each end. Mick

Reply to
Mick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.