Wifi and Linux questions:

Hi all. I'm switching to Ubuntu for all my LAN boxes and wondered if there are any friendly wireless routers out there for Linux? And, specifically, as wifi and Linux are tough to configure, and idea of which applet to try and load on all the boxes? Right now I'm using Netmanager, but there are plenty of others out there and I really don't know which is superior.

Also, I'm thinking of using the /N spec gear.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^
Loading thread data ...

On 2007-08-30, Mountain Mike^^ intrigued me by typing:

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and I have no problems whatsoever using it with my Ubuntu machines. Furthermore, Ubuntu had no problem detecting my Intel wireless pro 3945abg card. All I had to do was type in my passphrase. Using linux, my WPA2 was automatically detected. For me, Ubuntu was a snap and, believe me, I've tried a slew of linux distros. Anyway, take care and keep us informed.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I would second that. I've got Ubuntu 7.04 on a Toshiba Laptop with a

3945 wireless card. Network detection and connection with WPA was/is a snap. VPN connection through the connection is also available on the applet. Wireless Routers don't specially care if you run Windoze or Linux. In fact some of them run linux themselves!! Regarding /N, are you going to use a separate /N pcmcia card? then Id suggest you look at the supported cards list on the Ubuntu website.

Regards, Shiv

Reply to
outbackwifi

No, I'm going to simplify my life and get all USB dongles for everything. I just need to find the right one, right?? :)

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.