Which Linux supports Atheros out of the box?

I just replaced Mepis on my laptop with a copy of this

formatting link
It worked from the start with a DWL G630 after a few moments of

fiddling , easiest so far . ( although there is another version of this card which might not as well , there are two places of manufacture)

Reply to
atec77
Loading thread data ...

Fed up with Linux wifi woes. Which distro will support Atheros immediately after install, without adding kernel modules, etc?

Oh, and I use WEP key 3, not 1 and when I tried Mepis a few months back it recognised the Atheros immediately, but had not option to select a key other than 1.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Baron Samedi

Hmmm, If you use ndiswrapper, any WiFi card will work fine. WEP key? WPA is a minimum.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

formatting link
should help

Reply to
atec77

I believe he is asking whether any distro includes madwifi. He does not want to add the modules separately himself.

I do not know about distros other than Fedora, but Fedora easily integrates cooperating partner repositories. I use Fedora 5 & 6, and add the livna.org repository that allows me to automagically pick up MadWiFi modules that track Fedora kernel updates.

Reply to
Philip

I think "Open System" is the mininum. There is no a single solution. You can use "Open System", WEP or WPA in function of you needs.

Bye.

Reply to
Àngel Catal=E

As far as I know, the only built ins are for old Proxim/Orinoco cards, and the Intel Centrino internal WiFi.

I tried adding a MADWifi to RHEL ES 3 for a supported card, but I didn't have a supported kernel rev for the built binaries at atrpm. Mine was too old. I built the modules, and it all worked.

I think that might have been a temporary thing. I have an FC6 laptop now, and of course I bought the same card, since I knew it was supported. There seem to be plenty of back-rev rpms available for fc6, but it is not as clear as it could be what you really need to download.

It's also not clear what you need to do in terms of GUI and boot time to get the same integration that eth0 has.

I'll probably get it working in the next day or two. I thought about adding "yum" since that seems to be a straightforward answer, in that it is supposed to fetch what it needs to fetch. Ah, that works with livna.org, but "(Note: At 14th March 2006, Livna was still using madwifi-old). "

I saw rpm.livna.org mentioned, but didn't follow that. For FC6 and a DLink DWL-G630 that has an Atheros chipset (not all do) is the livna.org a one-line installation? Weeding through the multiple RPMS from atrpm is just tedious. Fetch one of these, one of these, and the appropriate one of this, this, and this, based on the output of uname -r... That could be made so much easier by making it separate lists, or providing a fetchit script that would do the uname -r analysis.

Reply to
dold

PCLINUXOS

formatting link
supports it out of the box. This is the one that is in my laptop and PCLOS say it right off with no mess or fussing

06:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
Reply to
David

On 31 Mar 2007 07:15:55 -0700, "Baron Samedi" wrote in :

WEP is too easily cracked to be of any real value. If at all possible, use WPA instead.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.