What is Google Fi and what does it mean for Android & iOS equipment?

I've lost track: maybe you have an old plan that is no longer available. What I see on the T-Mobile Web site is a limited-time offer of a $20/mo. tablet-specific *add-on to an existing voice plan*.

Our current two phones on the only postpaid T-Mobile plan I see on their Web site would cost $120/mo., including far more data than I can imagine us ever using. The cheapest prepaid family plan would cost $80/mo., including more than twice as much data as we are currently using. Our Project Fi service is costing less than $60/mo. because we get rebates/credits for the data we don't use.

And yes, an *extra* 1GB even on some expensive Verizon plans that already include data is less than the $10 each 1GB costs on Project Fi. But what is the *total* cost? How much is one already paying for the first xGB of data with Verizon before one gets those extra GB for less than $10/mo. each? (And the last time I checked out Verizon plans, I saw that each smart phone incurred an extra $20/mo. charge on top of the other charges.)

And I have already agreed that Project Fi is not advantageous for everyone -- not even if comparing new plans rather than including old "grandfathered" plans -- especially if you have people using a lot of data. E.g., there is no built-in overall cap and no slow-down after xGB: if you had a teenager using multiple GB of data, you could end up with a huge bill. But there *may be* Project Fi group plans in the works with a "rationing" feature.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy
Loading thread data ...

T-Mobile changes their plans frequently. My beloved $10/year plan has been gone for quite a while, and I live in fear that they'll even kill those who are grandfathered in.

What I'd like is to buy, say, 1 GB of data for use as I see fit. I'd like to be able to use waze-like apps on the road, as well as just googling for stuff when I'm not near a wifi hotspot. You'd think somebody would figure that it's free money for them rather than something that will prevent me from buying a monthly plan of some sort.

Reply to
The Real Bev

they did.

Reply to
nospam

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

I find that my Page Plus $10-every-120-days plan rolls over enough unused "minutes" (i.e., dimes) that I've never lacked for data on the rare occasions that I absolutely must use Verizon cellular data when on the road and far from an accessible wi-fi hotspot. And no I've never had to "top up" except at the end of my 120-day intervals. HTH.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Who? How? Where? When? Or are you playing coy again? (Sheesh!)

Reply to
tlvp

Apparently the Project Fi data-only nanoSIM is available for "some" tablets and "some" phones...

-------------------

formatting link
Introducing data-only support from Project Fi by Laura Holmes (Google) 12/15/15

Hi everyone,

devices. With this update, you can access cellular connection from tablets

received a data-only SIM, just pop it into a compatible device, follow the instructions, and voila: instant wireless connectivity. Just like with our

you use. You can cancel at any time. Have a look at our full list of compatible devices and data-only SIM coverage map.

Existing Project Fi subscribers can order their free data-only SIMs from

gradually, you should see the option to order data-only SIMs sometime in

Early Access Program, please visit fi.google.com to learn more about the service and request an invite.

As the number and variety of connected devices continues to grow, so should

ways to make accessing wireless from your connected device as easy as connecting with your phone. Thanks for helping us build Project Fi.

Check out our Help Center article for more info.

Laura Holmes

Project Fi, Senior Product Manager Edited

------------------- Desppite what is implied above, other web pages say the data-only nanoSIM

*shares* the data from the phone (i.e., it doesn't have it's own data alotment).

So much for Google MARKETING's vaunted main claim of "simplicity"! :)

Reply to
Horace Algier

Thanks for this information, as Google MARKETING's claim of "simplicity" starts getting slightly worn on the edges when you look at the data situation.

Anyway, here's how to activate the data-only nano SIM...

formatting link

For Android devices:

Note: These instructions are based on Nexus tablets running Android 6.0 and above. Steps may vary for your particular device.

Open the Settings app on your device. Tap More (under Wireless & Networks). Tap Cellular networks and then Access Point Names. Tap + (at the top of the screen). Tap Name and enter "Project Fi". Tap APN and enter "h2g2". Go back to the previous page. Select Project Fi from the list.

"T-Mobile" at the top of your screen.

For iPhone and iPad devices:

Note: These instructions are based on iPad tablets running version 9 and above. Steps may vary for your particular device.

Open the Settings app on your device. Tap Cellular Data and then APN Settings.

Reply to
Horace Algier

This is an interesting observation, which I appreciate, as the devil is always in the details (and Googl MARKETING main claim of "simplicity" is being stressed by the observations below...).

Googling, this seems to say the data-only SIM is a secondary SIM in that it

*shares* the original SIM's data allocation.

Use Project Fi with tablets & other compatible devices

formatting link

1. The data-only nabi SIM is only given as a *secondary* SIM
  2. It shares the data on the primary (phone) SIM
  3. No tethering allowed
  4. The data-only nano SIM is not locked to any particular device (but *can* be used on phones!)

So much for Google MARKETING's main claim of "simplicity"...

Reply to
Horace Algier

Compatible Devices for the data-only nano SIM: Nexus 7 - K009 (2013 US LTE) Nexus 9 - 0P82300 (2014 US LTE) iPad Air 2 - Model A1567 (2014) iPad Mini 4 - Model A1550 (2015) iPad Pro - Model A1652 (2015) Galaxy Tab S - Model SM-T807V (2015) Nexus 5X (North American version) Nexus 6 (North American version) Nexus 6P (North American version)

Source: Use Project Fi with tablets & other compatible devices

formatting link

So much for Google MARKETING's main claim of "simplicity"...

Reply to
Horace Algier

T-Mobile used to have a prepaid plan for a minimum of $10 (~30 minutes) minimum/year. After you'd spent $100 the minutes rolled over and you got extra minutes each time you re-upped. Text messages 10 cents to send or receive. Photos sent for 25 cents each. I've had it since

2010 or 2012. It's perfect, since I use the phone so little.
Reply to
The Real Bev

I don't remember if you're still grandfathered on that, but I used to have it too so you are correct.

It doesn't work that way anymore, as they suck out money each month nowadays, so, if you're grandfathered on that old plan, keep it!

Reply to
Horace Algier

Your characterization of the "game" that nospam loves to play is apropos.

coy:

- showing reluctance, especially when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand

Reply to
Horace Algier

Lewis (of all people) and I are regulars on alt.usage.english, where this has been discussed in the past...

"I are a regular?" "I am a regular?"

Reply to
Horace Algier

there are plenty of plans where you pay for what you use, versus a monthly tiered rate.

Reply to
nospam

what t-mobile had (and still has) is a month to month plan where you pay for what you use, with $10 giving 1000 minutes (not 30 minutes), which is a rate of 10c/minute.

there is no rollover, as there is no set monthly minutes to roll over. there is also no data.

you have to continually fund it, otherwise the account expires. refills can be any amount ($10 minimum), with a $10 refill normally expiring in

90 days and $100 expiring in a year, but once you've spent $100, *any* refill expires in a year.

the only change in their plan is that there is now a $3/mo minimum to cut down on those who keep the plan and never use it.

Reply to
nospam

At "10c/minute" it'd take $100 to pay for 1000 minutes, not $10. IOW: if $10 is to pay for 1000 minutes, that comes to a penny a minute.

Or was 3rd grade arithmetic never quite your forte :-) ?

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

And you're not about to tell anyone what any of them might be. Got it. TYVM. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

good catch. the $100 to obtain gold level gives 1000 minutes. a $10 refill is 100 minutes.

Reply to
nospam

Little girls like nospam love to be coy ... it's an attention thing with them...

Reply to
Horace Algier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.