What can they see?

I just got back from a short trip in my RV and used WiFi many times to check my email. I cruised shopping malls and could almost always find a business unsecured.

When I log into their system can they tell that another PC is on their system. My computer name is my name. Can they see that?

Just curious,

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Vogel
Loading thread data ...

The FBI will be knocking on your door, because you did a *BAD* thing. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That depends on what services -- file sharing? -- are enabled on your computer. And of course they can monitor everything that goes to or from your computer via their network.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Still did not answer my question. Can they see the name of my computer?

BTW, I signed up to that service that scrambles everything. But I have to logon to them after I connect.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Vogel

Yes. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

just stop right now before you get yourself in trouble. go home a create a new spam filter or something useful.

Reply to
mcnewsxp

It will show up in the computer browser and/or "my network places" if they're using Windows. If you have filesharing turned on, they'll be able to browse your files.

Any halfway decent IDS would spot it too. But then anyone with an unsecured wireless network is highly unlikely to even know how to spell IDS.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

don't worry, if somebody took the time to write down your name they probably wrote down your tag number too.

its not likely some kid sat there and grabbed & read copies of everything you did, but you never know. You ought to see all the stinky bs a friend does, he can re-assemble everything you typed and saw while connected to his AP.

Reply to
bumtracks

look in your router under wireless connections see your name !

Reply to
bumtracks

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:16:23 GMT, Dennis Vogel spoketh

Probably, yes. But only if they really care to look. When your computer gets an IP address, it'll start broadcasting it's name and workgroup name, which will be picked up by the browser master on the network you are connected to. It'll add your computer to the list, and anyone who goes to browse the network will then be able to see that your computer is/was there. Whether they can connect to it or not is another matter.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.