Was my router hacked?

Hi,

I have a DLink DI-624 router. I definitely know the login password, but for some reason the passwords been changed.

1. How likely is it that someone hacked this router?
  2. Is there any way I can get in without pushing the reset button. I have tons of custom settings that I don't want to lose.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
pmlonline
Loading thread data ...

I'd like to add that I took all the security advice of TechTV guy Leo Laporte in setting up the router.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
pmlonline

did you save off the config? that way when you reset, you can reload the last saved config...

Reply to
riggor99999

Yes, but being the dummy I am it's been a year and things have changed.

I wish their was a special tcp connection on the router I could connect my computer to that didn't require login or perhaps a switch that disabled login password. That would be nice for emergencies.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
pmlonline

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Leo Laporte apparently recycles security advice from Steve Gibson (grc.com). Opinions tend to vary radically as to the value of this advice (and of Steve Gibson).

formatting link
I assume the router still functions, that you get the login screen, and that you're just having problems getting it to accept the password.

1. It might be reading the password from the browser cache, or from saved passwords. Flush the cache or try a different browser or machine.
  2. I've seen weirdness with Java based authentication windows (i.e. Sonicwall). I'm not sure if the DI-624 uses Java in its login window. Probably not. I had to update Java to make it work. Checking...
    formatting link
    Simple HTML.
  3. Do you have remote management enabled on port 8080? If so, try connecting to your WAN IP address at port 8080. It will have the same password, but it might just function.
  4. There are TWO logins and passwords in the DI-624. See:
    formatting link
    "admin" doesn't play, try the "user" login.
  5. Have you tried using just a blank password (i.e. Enter)? If that works, your router has probably been reset to defaults.
  6. If you're trying to login via wireless, you may have some packet loss due to reflections or interference. The password can also be sniffed this way. Try logging in via a wired ethernet connection.

Hint: Nobody makes backups until after they've lost some work.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, I reset the router, logged in, loaded my 2005 settings. Then decided to upgrade the routers firmware. So now it has the latest firmware, but it resets the entire router. So I went to load my custom settings again and it says, "CFG checksum error." Looks like the latest firmware is not fully backwards compatible.

Thanks for any advice, Paul

Reply to
pmlonline

I have a DI-524. The last time I upgraded the firmware I remember a warning not to try to restore a configuration saved under the old firmware.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Peters
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

LOL! He gets that advice, unfortunately, from Steve Gibson, who claims to be a security wizard, but is anything but -- for example, see "Windows back door rumor is bunk"

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.