WAP11 DEAD !!!!

I just bought a Linksys WAP11 Access Point so my son could get online with his Sony PSP - it worked perfectly.

As with all hardware/software I get I check for available upgrades, and found a firmware upgrade to 2.05, which I downloaded and installed. Ever since then the WAP11 is as dead as dead can be. I cannot connect to it at all. I tried resetting it etc, and using the original IP address etc.

Then I noticed that the firmware upgrade was a US one!!! Can I fix this now - I doubt I can :o(

If the US firmware kills UK spec hardware, should there not be a fail-safe to stop you doing his kind of thing????

I am so fecked off now - The unit cost me =A323 delivered (NEW), so may as well throw it and get another one than go through all the hassle of sending it back etc.

Well, if anyone can help me fix this then I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Demon :o(

Reply to
demontraitor
Loading thread data ...

Ok. on the bottom of the unit the model number states that it is... WAP11 - Wireless-B Access Point V2.8 . So I went to the Linksys website, downloads section and found this firmware upgrade to 2.05 (i cannot remember what version the unit was on now).

formatting link
I loaded it via the "Update firmware" button in the Help section of the html pages. I done this through my PC, via my hard-wired LAN.

It said it had completed, and a click to continue button. After a few seconds it came back with server not found - standard page not found html error. Ever since then I have not been able to see the AP with the Sony Playstation Portable, and most importantly, I cannot see it from my PC on the LAN.

The unit has no USB port. and the original startup software you use to first configure the unit cannot see the unit either.

Well, thanks for your help ppl.

Reply to
demontraitor

What hardware version WAP11? There are 4 different models. The number will be on the serial number sticker. Some early models have a USB connector in addition to the ethernet connector. You'll need USB and the setup software to do the initial setup.

What worked perfectly? The WAP11, Playstation, or both together.

Ok, that didn't work. Did you do the upgrade via wireless, USB, or ethernet? I find that USB seems to work best. If wireless, it almost certainly will fail because the stupid radio will stop before the flash upgrade is finished.

Yes, you can overscribble it with the UK version. However, the US version should function just fine except that you'll end up with only channels 1-11 instead of 1-14.

There's no UK specific version of the hardware. They're all the same.

I did some googling looking for recovery proceedures. Lots of ways to get into trouble, but nothing on dealing with a comatose WAP11. Try a long (>60 sec) reset and using the USB utilities. If it doesn't respond, it's probably dead.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's the latest version. It would have been nice to recall the old version numbers because the version history document says that 2.05 is the only version for the WAP11v2.8. I'm not certain this is actually correct, but that's what the doc appears to say.

The Linksys Group, Inc. Product: WAP11v2.8 Classification: Firmware Release History Release Date: 08 / 30 / 03 Firmware Version: 2.05 ____________________________________________

- First Released.

formatting link

So far, you've done everything perfectly.

The manual says to hold the reset button for about 10 seconds to reset everything to factory defaults. If your network uses a different IP address layout and you reset the WAP11 to defaults, your PC will not see the WAP11.

The setup utility should see the WAP11 no matter how different you have your LAN's IP's configured. Local personal firewalls sometimes cause problems. Disable XP SP2 firewall, Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc. If it still doesn't see your WAP11, then you may have created a paper weight. Perhaps try the setup utility from a different computah.

Just for fun, try to ping 192.168.1.251 and see if anything comes back. That's the default IP address of the router.

Most Linksys products can be flashed using a TFTP client. However, these won't work until you can "see" the WAP11. I'll save these for desperation later.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.