static ip at home dhcp for everything else

Hi all,

I have a wireless network setup at home where I use static IP for all my machines for certain reasons. However, whenever I take my laptop somewhere, I need to change from static IP to DHCP and it is a pain to set it up for static IP when I get back home. All the info for the static IP disappears once switching to DHCP and I have to re-enter it all. Is there a simple way to have a static IP at home, and have windows use DHCP automatically everywhere else? I'm hoping I can use something native to Windows XP and not something like "Net Switcher" software. Thanks.

Reply to
ashkan21
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1125519024.545702.33460 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You may be able to do something with it.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Yes it is already built into Windows XP.

Configure the main IP address to be DHCP but then on the alternate address, configure the static IP address that you need at home.

When XP fails to lease a DHCP assigned address, XP will then choose the static configuration you have defined.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.