What would you recommend as a decent Wireless Router?

Hi all,

I am planning to have broadband internet installed this friday but have not yet decided on which Wireless Router to use as there are so many options, brands and specifications involved.

Therefore can i ask what would you recommend as a decent long-range wireless Router, capable of serving three PC's spread throughout a four bedroomed home?

The only one of interest so far is the Linksys WRT54GS (which i have seen favourable reviews of):

formatting link

Many thanks for your help everyone!

def

Reply to
deforce
Loading thread data ...

That'll work fine.

With regard to the desire for long range, they're all pretty much of a muchness, a lot also depends on the client.

You'll find that by playing about with the location of the router, you shouldn't have too many problems though.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I would recommend the Netgear DG834G. Easy to setup and v. reliable.

Reply to
DKCC
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

For longest range, get MIMO; e.g., Belkin Pre-N Best range for a standard "value" router: D-Link DI-624

Reply to
John Navas

Have you got the specs for that? I've never found any difference between that and the Linksys except that the Linksys has alternate firmware with a greater power output.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

No precise specs, just reviews and my own experience.

Reply to
John Navas

I hope this it's not a late answer to your message, I would recommend WRT54G for my own experience, it's a wonderful router/AP that gives you the opportunity to install new firmwares which gives you extra power for your signal strenght.

I live in a house with concrete walls, very thick indeed, the worst enemy for wifi signal, and I can tell you that this little bastard (WRT54G) gives me the chance to take the signal upstairs (kind of weak but reliable) going throught appoximately 4 thick walls and I haven't touched antennas yet, if I do that I could get more signal upstairs maybe.

The difference between WRT54G and WRT54GS is a 'protocol' which will guive you more speed in your internal transmission (home's internal LAN) WETHER you have a Linksys compatible GS antenna. BUT, WRT54GS version is a little bit more difficult to manipulate with 3rd party firmwares than WRT54G, not only because some firmwares don't work on WRT54G, but Linksys' firmwares aren't the same and a 'bricked' router/AP is harder to recuperate on a 54GS than a 54G (I've had some experience on both).

Conclussion: I recommend gettin' into WRT54G instead of WRT54GS or any other.

Reply to
heldmar

Here's a review of the D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router + Compatible D-Link

108G NIC:
formatting link
Hope it helps!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor Net-Reviews.com

formatting link
Reviews:

- SanDisk Digital Audio Player

- GMC Miter Saws

- Samsung DVD-R121 DVD Recorder

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to

I've had zero problems with a Linksys WRT54GX

formatting link

Reply to
Markeau

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.