Possible to retreive user info from tapping onto wireless network?

Hi,

I'm experiencing a hacker situation whereby i suspect that he's tapping onto my wifi network...,

and from there get to know all my passwords. But i need to know if it's possible...

Because I've set up another account at work, which belongs to a totally different network/username/password...

I will only log into that account using my work place network...And until now he has yet done anything to that account...

However, he've recently hacked into my fb/msn/tumblr all the accounts you can name, he has hacked into it...

And done destructive work such as deleting friends, changing passwords, sending nonsensical emails...

Every account was touched except for the one i setup at work...

So i just want to ask if it is possible that he hacked into my WPA-PSK network at home, monitor my activities, collect data and use my accounts...?

Feel free to talk Tech...I am one...

THANKS

-- These are dark times, there is no denying. Our Tech world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this to my citizenry: I, ever your servant, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! I remain, strong.

formatting link
with an internet connection, 5 grand, an iq above room temperature and basic literacy can grow outstanding cannabis.

Reply to
DasFox
Loading thread data ...

Sounds as though it is time to kill all the previously hacked accounts. (Or change the password to something not easily hacked.)

Move to WPA2 with a really long, mixed character key phrase. Then, turn off the wireless when you are not using it.

The other option is to go wired at home. All of these increase your security, but never eliminate your possibility of being hacked.

This > Hi,

Reply to
Rich Johnson

If you used a simple password, it's possible but still much less likely than someone hacking into your computer over the internet...

Here's what I would do against a wlan hack: Disconnect all devices Press the reset button on your router. Boot up from a trusted live CD, trusted means don't download and burn it on your possible infected systems. Go into the router and set it up with strong passphrases.

Against the more probable internet vector: restore from trusted backups reset and change router passphrases change all online credentials

Reply to
Quaalude

Yes it's very possible, WEP and WPA already have published hacks. WPA2 is only a matter of time. I suggest using WPA2 and a 10+ long password.

Reply to
Quaalude

DF-

It may be possible to log into your WiFi base station and view its logs. You should be able to identify any MAC address you see there. If there are no strange ones, that may not be how your information was obtained.

Could you have fallen victim to a phishing E-Mail? Some of them look very impressive. The only way I'm sure they are fake is because I don't have accounts with most of them!

What about physical access to your system? Do you share it with someone who might be playing tricks on you?

Have you ever disposed of a computer that might have had recoverable information on its hard drive?

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

The most serious WPA-TKIP weakness needs QoS enabled, is this even a default setting? Also it only allows one to read data sent to the client, you can't intercept login credentials that way, certainly not if it's sent over TSL.

WPA2 being only a matter of time sounds like spreading FUD to me. AES is secure for the foreseeable future, given WPA2 has been designed more than 6 years ago any obvious implementation weaknesses would have surfaced already. So why now?

Reply to
katio

Yes...

THANKS

-- These are dark times, there is no denying. Our Tech world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this to my citizenry: I, ever your servant, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! I remain, strong.

formatting link
with an internet connection, 5 grand, an iq above room temperature and basic literacy can grow outstanding cannabis.

Reply to
DasFox

DONE...

One OS won't support that is on netwrk...

Wired won't work out by pool... ;)

THANKS

formatting link

Reply to
DasFox

PASSWORD grab via Wireshark...?

Reply to
DasFox

Looking into that, Fred...

NO...but I need to think on this...

NO...I keep all stuff in my garage...

Reply to
DasFox

Which OS will not support WPA2 that you are using?

Might need just a firmware upgrade or in the case of a base unit plugging in a newer version interface card or USB device might get you the hardware and or drivers to support it.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

W2000

There's a hotfix that failed, I need to Tech out the machine to XP and hotfix the OS...

THANKS

formatting link

Reply to
DasFox

DasFox:

I assume that the one OS on the network won't support WPA with a long mixed character pass phrase, not shutting off the wireless network when not in use.

Frankly, unless there is a really good reason to have that unit on the net, I would change/upgrade the OS to one that does support the latest encryption technology.

Once you have done this, also, install a good firewall in each of the computers on the network. Clamp down on network sharing except to the ones that really require it. Then, password protect that with long mixed character passwords.

If there is still an issue after doing everything you can to keep them out then you can get aggressive. Set a honey pot, that delivers a key logger to an intruder. If you set it so it alarms you when they connect, you can also use a directional antenna to search their direction, and track them down and fully identify them. Document the intrusion using the key logger and triangulation and take it to the Feds.

(I don't recommend doing anything like burning their house down, shooting them or other things that I have heard suggested.)

Do remember, the only secure computer is one that has been disconnected from the network, power grid and has been put through a grinder. Even then you can get hacked. (Con men have been doing that person to person for years.)

Reply to
Rich Johnson

Done today to WXP3...

Good TECH here...AGREED...

Aw, good idea...Tech this out for me...a HowTo...for the noobs...

THANKS

formatting link

Reply to
DasFox

First I would scan the heck out of that system with an AV then AM, and finally check with an ARK.

Try Ettercap, start sniffing then view connections and just watch, writing down all addresses that are not the gateway or the computer. If gateway is 192.168.1.1 and your computer is 192.168.1.3 and you see a connection at 192.168.1.253, then a MITM could occur.

Try running an nmap scan to see what is connected and has open ports. "nmap -F -d -T5 -sSV 192.168.1-254.1-254" should take about 15-20 minutes.

Check the router logs for activity and IP addresses, maybe from a Linux Live CD.

Is the network at home yours or did you find an open network to connect to? Maybe it reconnects after a disconnection to the strongest signal instead of your router. Maybe for some reason your router disappeared from the list and you might not notice that you were connected to another network.

Maybe not.

Reply to
Searching_____

I would, but I would be giving information to want to be hackers in doing so.

So, I won't get detailed or where to get things. Once you have secured your network, then the honeypot would be a computer that is unsecured or better with weak security. It should have sufficient wrong information (usernames, passwords, etc.) to keep the hacker busy for a while.

When you notice they are on your network, get their MAC address from your router. (Most have a list of those computers connected.)

Assuming you know they have accessed your network from a wireless link, use a directional antenna and a program that allows you to look at their signal both by strength and content. You document everything with the program as well and snapshot your routers information. Use the directional antenna to triangulate on their location.

Note time and dates, then shut down your network to blow them off of it.

Track intrusions that happen and repeat the above to confirm location. Then turn them into the local FBI, Homeland security and State Attorney Generals office with your documentation. If you could put a legitimate copy of a movie and if they take it from your machine via download, you can also turn them in to the Motion Picture Association. (Even more of an aggressive prosecutor than the Feds or State.)

Yes, that is entrapment, but you are an individual, not a police/government agent, and you have every right to entrap any time you want to do so.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Johnson

HACKERS know...noobs don't...progress with data for noobs...

Ahhhhhhh, good solid Tech here...noobs LISTEN...

WIRESHARK with Cane and Abel....

Above is IMPORTANT...for all noobs included...I already knew this...

Then NO trapping...

THANKS

formatting link

Reply to
DasFox

Got ac? I use powerline networking, and when nice out can plug into the ac line in the gazebo and have wired ethernet... (cut and pasted from a previous post) i use powerline networking and have network injected from my wap/router onto the home ac powerlne, and wherever i want a wired network connection, just plug the other unit in, connect a hardwire/rj45 cable, and bingo... network anywhere in(or out of) the house instantly

not necessarily the best/cheapest powerline networking out there, but website has some good info...

formatting link
left side, under simple connections.... salesspeak NETGEAR Powerline products for Simple Connections extends Internet access to any existing power outlet.

you can even get starter kits on amazon (two units needed, one at each end) $74.63

formatting link

if you want to get real creative, you can even use it with another wap/router to have wireless (my main wap/router won't reach outside, when weather nice i put it in the sunroom so i can lay on the hammock in the gazebo and surf) some ipods, ipads, kindles, etc have wifi connections, works for them too (xfer and read books over the wifi thing, listen to music, use it as a voip phone, watch tv too - excellent in hammock)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hey DasFox (aka chuan):

You are the noob, why do you pretend you are a tech when you can't even secure your own network?

snip

You don't know shit, you keep pretending you aren't the noob but you don't have a clue.

You are posting as 'chuan' on wilders too trying to get more people to bail you out

Instead of pretending to be a 'tech' get off your ass & learn something & cut the self promotion.

Reply to
Kulin Remailer

formatting link

Thanks and will try...THIS is Tech collaborating...NOT TROLLING...

Reply to
DasFox

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.