sharing a wireless adapter

MediaMVP model 86019 rev H2 (wired) D-Link wireless adapter model DWL-G820 D-Link auto switch DSS-5+ Netgear 108MBps wireless router WGT624

This is not exactly a "problem" with the MVP - more of a networking question, but hopefully someone here will have some ideas.

When my MVP is connected directly to the wireless adapter it works great; connects smoothly most of the time (sometimes need to reboot both MVP and wireless adapter). I got the adapter originally to give internet access to a Playstation 2 - and was pleased to learn it also lets MVP connect to my network.

Now I want to connect both MVP & PS2 to the network through the wireless adapter, so I connected the switch (between MVP/PS2 & adapter). But as some of you may have guessed, it only lets one device connect. For example, when both PS2 & MVP are plugged into the switch, if the PS2 boots first it can connect to the internet. Then the MVP says it can connect to my network, but can't get an IP address. Obviously, only the PS2 needs an "internet" connection - the MVP only needs a LAN connection. Also, both devices will not need the connection simultaneously - all I'm trying to do is avoid the hassle of plugging/unplugging the power & ethernet cables from the MVP/adapter/switch each time I want to use the wireless adapter for MVP or PS2. I thought the switch would do that, in fact the guy in Fry's said it would.

So, am I expecting the switch to do something it can't? Do I need to reconfigure the switch/adapter/router settings? Do I need to ditch the switch and get something else?

I already tried a router between the devices and the adapter - adapter connected to the WAN port, devices to the #1 & #2 ports - neither one got a connection.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
00derek
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.