running kismet restores wifi card internet connection?

OS: Kubuntu Edgy Linux PC: IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 WLAN: Atheros 5212 mini pci Router: WRT54G v4 w/DD-WRT

Problem: Sometimes my connection to my router (which is at the range limit for a mid speed connection) just disappears.

I found if I start Kismet, run it for 30 sec. then exit the connection is restored, like nothing happened.

It's like I need to keep the connection active otherwise the card goes to sleep. Problem is I'm not sure there is a sleep mode for my card and I've got all the power saving options in Kubuntu turned off. Hmmm - maybe I should check the BIOS? What about "Wake On LAN" (whatever THAT means lol)?

P.S. I lost connection while I was typing this so I don't think it's a sleep or hibernate issue however, I was not using my connection - I was filling in a text box on Google's usenet web interface.... Running Kismet for 10 sec fixed it as soon as I shut Kismet down....

Any clues?

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX
Loading thread data ...

What do use to manage your connection KNetworkManager? Will this not allow you to reconnect without using Kismet. I would try to find out why you keep getting disconnected...weak signal/interference. What does it say in /etc/network/interfaces about your wireless card? If I use an atheros card mine starts auto ath0 iface ath0 inet dhcp

Reply to
kev

Do you mean KWifiManager? I don't have KNetworkManager...... Currently I'm running Network Monitor 2.12.0. As for the signal, I'm sharing an internet connection with my brother down the street. He has 2 PC's and runs my router while I am here at home using wifi. His $#$% wife won't let him help me by moving the router to a window that faces me or installing a bigger antenna on the router. So, I'm stuck with these signal levels.

Here's the dump from /etc/network/interfaces (essid & key x'ed out)

-------------------------------------------------------- auto lo iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1 iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2 iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0 iface ath0 inet dhcp wireless-essid xxxxxxxxx wireless-key xxxxxxxxx

auto wlan0 iface wlan0 inet dhcp

--------------------------------------------

Note I only have 2 network devices - a PCMCIA phone modem and the Atheros mini PCI card. No ethernet. Maybe I've got too many interfaces up there? Maybe too many hosts in the config? I've got 8 there....

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

I have recently downloaded Ubuntu to play with and in the "Add/Remove Applications" is KNetworkManager which is supposed to work well with Kubuntu. I did try it with Ubuntu but reverted to the Gnome front end. I also have NetworkManager Applet 0.6.3 installed.

I cut mine short as I have quite a few listed due to the cards I have been trying.

Reply to
kev

I found the program you were talking about but I can't seem to get it to work - sure, it runs and all but it says I'm disconnected yet the option to enable wireless is greyed out.

Do I have to turn off/remove the other (network-admin) first? I did that and it took 20 minutes to get it and my internet connection back......

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

Also, should I edit that interfaces file? Would that help?

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

Ding! Brainfart! If I can't improve the signal at the router and I don't want to splice into the antenna system in the laptop, why not just buy a PCMCIA WiFi card that has or uses a external antenna and hook up to that when I'm at home? I could make a short (

Reply to
KG0WX

When I first set up my wireless network I installed the following packages as I wanted to run WPA-PSK as a min:- wpa-supplicant network-manager 0.6.3 network-manager-gnome 0.6.3 If you are using KNetworkManager you shouldn't require the last one(when trying KNM I still had it installed) . in the interfaces file for ath0 all I have is auto ath0 iface ath0 inet dhcp

When I run KNetworkManager it appears in the panel at the top of the screen and when I click on it I get a list of all the AP's in my locality. If I click on my AP I get a popup panel which requires me to fill out my Encrypted Key and then to login.

Reply to
kev

Go to Network Properties > Wife > Disable

Or uninstall...

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.