repeat wi-fi signal coming thru window?

Hello

I receiver strong wi-fi signals from my master bedroom window, however my computer is in another room.

Is there anyway to repeat these signals to my computer?

It appears all repeaters/APs require a DSL/Cable hardline to be physically attached to the unit. My situation is that I am being granted wi-fi access legally and legitimately which emanates from a office building nearby that my wife works at.

The signals come thru my bedroom window very strong, however, again, my office area at my house they do not. I did a site survey using a laptop with NetStumbler.

ideas on a solution?

thanks

Reply to
Joe
Loading thread data ...

Not necessarily but the most elegant way in my mind is to set up an AP in client mode in your bedroom window, then wire it via ethernet to an AP in access point mode somewhere central to your house.

Job done.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes but (forgive the newbie question, but...) how do I tell my standalone AP (without a connection to computer) to use particular SSID X?

Reply to
Joe

Harder, but possible if the provider is willing to do it, is to get the same version of router that the business is using and set it up in WDS mode - but afaik that requires both ends of the link to be identified, by MAC, to each other. That would provide wireless access to any point in your house that could be served by a wireless router in that window.

Failing that, one AP in client mode, ethernet connected to another that will be your wireless server.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

It's in the config when you run it in client mode.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Wireless client wired by (short) Ethernet to a wireless access point (bridge) for your house.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.