radio turned off or card broken?

ndiswrapper -l shows hardware present,driver present & the interface is up with a static ip and i can ping the card's ip but i can't connect to the router even after turning off the firewall - activity indicator on the card is dark. iwlist wlan0 scan sees the WAP. Other PC's with different cards connect OK.

Mandriva 2006, kernel 2.6.16.16, ndiswrapper 1.17, WMP54G version 1.2

Reply to
johnny
Loading thread data ...

Does the machine have a wireless power-button at the top? I find that under ndiswrapper my bcm wireless correctly toggles on/off when I push the button but there is no real indication whether the button is in the on or off state.

When wpa_supplicant has negotiated a key the blue led on the wifi on/off button will flash with network activity. It doesn't flash without propper keys being negotiated so it takes a bit of guesswork to figure out what is going on.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

There's no designated radio on/off switch on my desktop like there is on my laptop. The card was working but it wouldn't work with the new kernel (2.6.16.16) - the card wouldn't work after rebooting to the kernel that it was working with (2.6.15.6). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling ndiswrapper, the Windows driver, and wpa_supplicant. I guess it's time to buy a new card - these wireless cards don't seem to hold up very well.

Reply to
johnny

I would be surprised if updating the kernel damaged the card. It is probably something else.

Might the ndiswrapper module not have been updated? It really needs to track the exact kernel version number.

This is what I have on an Fedora FC5 system with a Broadcom-4319 based card. It works as well as anything that uses microsoft components. (No ipv6, no multicast, but vanilla ipv4 work fine.)

kmod-ndiswrapper.x86_64 1.13-3.2.6.16_1.2122_F kmod-ndiswrapper.x86_64 1.13-3.2.6.16_1.2111_F ndiswrapper.x86_64 1.13-2.lvn5

If you can't make ndiswrapper work and really want/need a more supported card you might want to try anything based on the Atheros chipset. It has native drivers and as far as I can tell everything just works fine.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 00:35:29 GMT, johnny wrote in :

I've only seen one Wi-Fi PC Card fail in all of my experience.

Reply to
John Navas

I install ndiswrapper from the latest stable tarball (version 1.17). I suppose I could try the beta or cvs versions of ndiswrapper. I don't want to use the Atheros based cards because they are non-standard implementations of 802.11g. When the 11n standard is implemented, then I'll upgrade from 56 Mb cards.

Reply to
johnny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.