Questions about wardriving

Wardriving: walking, driving, or being otherwise mobile with a wireless network enabled device capable of receiving a signal from a wireless access point. Wardriving does not constitute a crime under statute XXX unless the intent is to illegally obtain internet access.

We are only talking about wardriving which is essentially a *passive* activity. Your analogy breaks down at that point simply because there is no attempt to rattle doors. It's more like walking through a neighborhood where all the doors have signs on them that say "this door is locked" "this door is unlocked" etc.

I would say that once wardriving crosses the line from being a passive to active activity it lands in a grey area. After that intent has to be determined. For example, to use your analogy, if I were to walk through a neighborhood reading signs (door is locked/unlocked) and there was a door without a sign and I went up and rattled it, (and of course got caught) was my intent to create a fix the sign or was I intending to go in and steal something? The kinds of programs I had on my wardriving computer might answer that question as well as perhaps my past record of fixing signs or of going in and stealing stuff.

I guess in that case the intent of the access points owner would need determination. If the SSID is "Free Internet" then I doubt there would be a judge or jury in the world that would convict you if you used it. You might call the people with the "linksys SSID" stupid and reckless, but you can't assume that because they leave their connection wide open, that they want you to come and use it. Since you like analogies, lets assume you inset a valuable diamond in your house number sign. It's very reckless, but that doesn't give another person the right to come up and steal it. It does however give someone the right to look at it and think "what a dumbass, somebodies going to steal that one day"

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks
Loading thread data ...

Spoken as though you're perpetually trapped in the year 2001 slurping up all the usual failing propaganda.

People like you...you have no f****ng idea what you can do with Flash. Free cl00, Kiddie, it's ~not~ just for web pages/animation. And since version 8 there have been some pretty incredible advancements in what you can do with it.

As f****ng inept as you are you probably hadn't even realized just how widespread Flash usage is...most likely because the only Flash sites ~you~ actually notice are the ones made by spazzy tweenage muppet fucks ass raping every other default transition effect.

Flash is EVERYWHERE, it's used for the interfaces on bank ATMs, supermarket checkout stands, those nifty lil interactive video kiosks that you see at E3 and other conventions, even the touch screen menu/ordering systems that fast food places use to take your order. Hell, I have TEN TIMES the number of requests for STAND ALONE Flash applications than I do Flash web content.

Not to mention its ability to handle video content and use of the On2 VP6 codec, which in many ways is even superior to most builds of Xvid. Integrated support for 32 bit JPEGs, full support of alpha transparent video, FIFTY TIMES faster than Javascript, use of the ColorMatrixFilter, ability to pass variables to and from PHP scripts, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

...you don't know...because you're a FUCKING RETARD. And you know, when you are...you REALLY shouldn't run around perpetuating outdated lies and bullshit.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter mhm ¹ x ¹

formatting link

Hatter Quotes

------------- "You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the best."

"I didn't make reality, Sunshine, I just verbally bitch slapped you with it."

"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"Your Usenet blinders are my best friend."

"Usenet Filters - Learn to shut yourself the f*ck up!"

"Drugs killed Jesus you know...oh wait, no, that was the Jews, my bad."

"There are clingy things in the grass...burrs 'n such...mmmm..."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty f****ng high on themselves if they think that they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere. So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest, to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage, endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Tell me, would you describe yourself more as a process or a function?"

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid. Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww, gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )

Reply to
Onideus Mad Hatter

You're apparently entertained by slurping up and regurgitating LAST DECADES failing views and stupidity. Free cl00, Kiddie, there have been some fairly significant advances in Flash since the year 2000.

I believe with enough beatings I can even teach someone as DUMB as you about the uses of Flash.

--

formatting link

Hatter Quotes

------------- "You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the best."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"People are pretty f****ng high on themselves if they think that they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere. So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest, to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage, endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid. Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww, gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )

Reply to
Onideus Mad Hatter

Reductio ad absurdum, though not below the ken of many legal minds. You're beating around the "inducement" bush and while that gambit has been used by many, the logical -and at the same time illogical- extension of your idea is that we could hold homeowners partially responsible for the actions of B&E artists because the homeowner has doors and windows in his/her house.

Reply to
mr.b

you really need to stop masturbating while looking in the mirror

Reply to
mr.b

Oh christ, you've crawled out from under your rock again?

Reply to
Leo Fellmann

OK Zippy, I think it's time you took your medications. Calm down, everything's going to be alright. Remember what your Doctor said about getting all excited. Go play with your "flash" some more.

Reply to
noload

As I stated in an earlier post, the analogy of B&E doesn't work here, receiving a wireless signal is a passive activity, you merely have to turn on your computer and there is the signal. It is more like looking in windows that don't have shades than rattling doors. If you don't want somebody to look in your windows, pull down the shades.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

really? I'll have to get the latest mozilla flash plugin then so I can waste time on youtube.com

Reply to
Big Bad Bob

qualified ACK on that one - not having a flash plugin saves bandwidth loading pages that have embedded ads using flash...

Reply to
Big Bad Bob

I think you could make the case that you're using someone else's utility service. As an example, if you hook up a phone to someone's outside phone connection and make local calls (which cost the subscriber nothing) you're still 'stealing services' whether there's any obvious cost to anyone or not.

But I doubt anyone would be able to trace it back to you, at any rate, and nobody's going to look for you unless you're doing something ELSE that's "more illegal" in the process.

Reply to
Big Bad Bob

Make sure your blinders are on nice and tight, Doofy. We wouldn't want your stupid ass reading anything that might make you pop off at the mouth and start drooling incoherently. ^_^

--

formatting link

Hatter Quotes

Reply to
Onideus Mad Hatter

I'm sorry, you must have confused yourself with someone that I would have actually taken the bother to remember. Maybe next time a lil introduction first. A kind of a "Hi, my name is --, you verbally hammered me into the f***in wall in --, back in --, I'd like to start whining about it now if that's okay with you."

--

formatting link

Hatter Quotes

Reply to
Onideus Mad Hatter

Why not, it's probably a much better "waste of time" than watching all those gay ass reruns of Friends that you love so much, Bobby dearest. ^_^

--

formatting link

Hatter Quotes

Reply to
Onideus Mad Hatter

Not me, my dear fellow. The whole of alt.hacker, which infrequently sees you and really doesn't want to in the first place.

Reply to
Leo Fellmann

He does this whenever he runs out of beer late at night. The nearby dorms are usually pretty stocked.

Oh, and for a while I would often use my neighbors' WiFi connectivity because (a) several have unencrypted networks and (b) I hadn't configured KNetworkManager correctly to use my ESSID with the WPA encryption. Now that I'm up on 10.1, I don't have that issue.

I'd be surfing happily until I realized I wouldn't be able to send/recieve emails because I wasn't on the right service provider. (Of course, using

*nix, it is very easy to use the cli to send emails from other people's service providers.)
Reply to
PerfectReign

Nowhere in the term "wardriving" does it state that anybody's service is actually used. Wardriving is simply using your tools (laptops or otherwise) to determine what houses contain WiFi networks and then which of those are encrypted or not.

When you wardrive - something I don't do since I have no time - you simply determine what areas have networks - you do not use these networks.

The laws here in California are very clear on not allowing the use of others' networks when you're not invited to do so. That is called "stealing bandwidth."

Sure they couldn't. Of course, it helps if you change your MAC while you're out and about.

Reply to
PerfectReign

A Router is a computer, by the definition extant throughout the western world. Check if you're not sure.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.