Problem w/ Dlink WBR-1310. Wireless VS Wired.

Description of a new problem I am having:

- I have a new D-Link wireless router (WBR-1310)

- I have two WinXP PCs plugged directly into the router (it has 4 ethernet slots + wireless).

- I have a Pocket PC (UTStarCom 6700 PPC) running Windows Mobile 5.0 w/ wireless

Whenever the Pocket PC comes on the network via wireless, it often disconnects the other two PCs. Specifically: it disconnects only DNS for the two PCs (meaning: downloads and torrents will continue, you are not fully disconnected, but web http access is no longer possible. When you open the browser and go to

formatting link
or whatever it will say "Connecting to site 72.14.207.14" and then just stop there).

Clues: All 3 computers are set for dynamic IP's, and nothing is wrong with the way the router's DHCP is assigning IP's, they arent conflicting, etc. When these "black outs" happen, I can still access all 3 computers on the LAN, but I cant access the router via

192.168.0.1 like I normally can, downloads continue, but I cant access any websites.

I know DLink sucks, but by chance, does anyone recognize this specific problem?

Thanks

Reply to
dennispublic
Loading thread data ...

On 22 Aug 2006 15:23:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

That says that DNS is actually working, and that the real problem is Internet connectivity.

Actually it doesn't any more than other low-end models (a few flamers here notwithstanding).

1. Do you have the latest firmware?

1. Have you contacted D-Link Support?

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

You stand corrected. From experience, DLink is far inferior to Linksys. My current situation illustrates that yet again.

Hmm...you answer a question with a question?

I take that as: "NO - I DONT KNOW ANYTHING - BUT I WANTED TO PRETEND I DO".

Thanks though

Reply to
dennispublic

On 23 Aug 2006 12:16:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

I take that as you being unlucky enough to be raised by parents that didn't teach any manners.

Good luck though.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks at least I know I'm not alone now. I checked and the firmware its running right now was issued April 2006, just 4 months old. I'm skeptical that upgrading it is going to do anything. But I will try it as a last resort before I throw this PIECE OF JUNK out!!!

If DLink mass marketed a router to millions of people w/ faulty firmware that cant handle 2 simple ethernet connections plus 1 wireless then what's it say about DLink?

Grrr.. I'm very annoyed today... I remind everyone to pay $20 more and avoid this "McRouter". Even before this current problem I was having: The thing comes with NO documentation just a moronic "Setup Wizard CD" for grandparents who cant tell a modem from a router. But of course the "wizard" did nothing except crash & fail miserably, which makes it immediately apparent that they did a half-ass job with this product.

DLink has caused me nothing but annoyance. Avoid the WBR-1310.

Reply to
dennispublic

Another useless reply. I take that as: "I have too much free time and I troll these forms because I'm a self-proclaimed know-it-all and that's all I have to keep me going in life."

Good luck though.

Reply to
dennispublic

On 23 Aug 2006 12:37:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Thanks for confirming my point. Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Well then! Lets just agree that I'm rude and you're useless.

Move along troll, you have nothing of value to contribute here.

ps - Have a nice day!

Reply to
dennispublic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.