One PC with multiple WiFi interfaces as an access point test bench tool

I've got a bunch of Motorola WU830G wireless USB adapters laying around. Just curious if there's a way to connect a few of them to a single PC, have all of them establish a connection with a single access point under test and pump data through all of them simultaneously. I didn't get very far with Windows XP as a client, since it doesn't seem to recognize more than one Motorola plugged in at the same time.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul
Loading thread data ...

No, because for one thing, existing 802.11 operates only one client at a time. In other words, if you had 4 client cards in one machine, youd get

1/4th the bandwidth on each...

I didn't get very far with

Doubt many makers have written drivers capable of runnig multiple cards at once. You'd have to ask the manufacturers.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

"Paul" hath wroth:

I've never tried it with USB, but I've certainly had multiple wireless ethernet bridges connected and functioning. However, it will not do what you think (and didn't bother mentioning). You cannot use multiple wireless devices to get more speed without additional complexity. If you simply connect multiple adapters, and set the route table metric to all the same values, the operating system will simply pick one route to use, leaving the others with no traffic. That's because Windoze includes no load balancing software. It may be possible to convince the "multilink" driver used to bond two phone or ISDN lines together to cooperate, but you'll need a similar contrivance at the destination end, which might be problematic.

There's also the not so subtle problem of frequency selection on your access point. Wireless access points cannot scan for additional channels while moving traffic. Therefore, you must pre-assign a channel for the AP to use. It will ignore all others. That means that each of your multiple USB wireless devices will all be on the same channel. That a guaranteed formula for maximum self-interference.

You could use 3 seperate access points, each on the 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, and 11). That will work, but you are still stuck with the load balancing problem at the USB end.

Good thinking, nice idea, but it won't work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.