NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

I find it funny that you say disguised antennas suck because my cell phone works within my bathroom, which is enclosed by a standard gypsum wall and then behind a standard gypsum bedroom wall, with aluminum siding on the exterior -- and with my 8 year old phone I can hit cell sites 5 miles away (I see this on my bill from time to time).

Now, if my flea-powered cell phone can penetrate 4 half-inch walls and aluminum siding that well, a cell transmitter/receiver can certainly do that from behind a 1/4 inch wooden fake birdhouse wall.

Reply to
David Kaye
Loading thread data ...

I believe you declared "it is a myth"...

Reply to
George

Would that Navas was in fact a myth...

Reply to
News

Iridium phones use satellites, not cellular radio.

It is, therefore, not a cell phone.

Reply to
Robert Higgins

He's apparently not familiar with the technology.

Reply to
Char Jackson

OK. Enjoy your personal hobby, just as I enjoy mine. Just don't expect me to take it any more seriously than any other personal hobby.

Reply to
John Navas

The cost has come down considerably, making it a practical option for many situations where safety is important, such as offshore boating and hiking in remote areas. PLB is another good safety option, but lacks the two-way communications capability of sat phone. Likewise SPOT. All are far better than cellular in an emergency, particularly sat phone.

Reply to
John Navas

It's not two tin cans and a string either. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

No, it didn't. You may not have been able to call in on whatever systems you were using, but I was able to call out, and was receiving text messages. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Overloading is indeed the usual problem, not failure of infrastructure. It would be wildly unrealistic to expect the infrastructure to support everyone trying for dial tone at the same time -- we're not paying for anywhere near that much capacity. Wireless messaging is the recommended way to keep in touch during emergencies while minimizing load on the infrastructure.

Quite a few in my experience.

Reply to
John Navas

Nonsense.

Reply to
John Navas

It's not going through aluminum siding -- signal must be getting through in other ways. See

Reply to
John Navas

Not yet anyway. See

Just be careful the door doesn't smack you on the tush on the way out! :)

Reply to
John Navas

NavASS isn't familiar with much of anything, but he'll tell you ALL about it, anyway.

Reply to
George Kerby

On a monthly rotation.

"Q: Why does the Motorola travel charger..."

Reply to
News

Since when is Tonopah in Utah?

Reply to
Eric Weaver

Of course it was the overloading. Failure is failure.

San Francisco could not be reached for hours after the earthquake. The failure was either in San Bernardino county or it was in the San Francisco area. I know where I'm putting my money.

My hand is raised.

Reply to
John Higdon

There was cell service AND WiFi internet signal at Black Rock City in

2009. I expect the same will be true again this year. There has also been a VoIP-over-802.11-over-microwave payphone (free, no coins required) at BRC every year since 2004.

In years past when there wasn't any cell service, they had ham service to connect to public safety services (fire, police, etc.) for emergencies.

jc

Reply to
jcdill

In other words, you don't know, can't answer, have no cites, and want me to do the research to prove it?

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Welcome to the world of what we who are actually in the communications business refer to as the "media expert" (and why the media gets it wrong most of the time).

Reply to
John Higdon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.