NEWS: Verizon and AT&T May Both Get Apple Tablet

Honestly, it's not like hams are sitting on any significant amount of really prime RF real estate. I think it's a worthwhile hobby, (though I've never really been involved. I used to monitor the long-range ham bands on my shortwave, but found it amusing that people from across the world, from different countries and cultures were contacting each other, and all they ever talked about were their radios!) ;) It also keeps a portion of the radio spectrum "public" which I think is a good thing.

I'm on the side of preemption of local rules, myself, like with TV antennas and satellite dishes. I'll give you reasonable accommodation (disguising the equipment to blend in to local surroundings,) height size restrictions (which really just lead to more installations of smaller equipment) and a historic exemption (which, one could argue, would cover half of San Francisco anyway!) to keep them out of Amish country, etc. but that's about it. If a commercial-zoned building owner wants to lease roof space to a wireless company, so be it. Cell towers, like power lines and telephone poles are part of 21st century life. Embrace them as the thing of tech beauty they are! ;)

Reply to
Todd Allcock
Loading thread data ...

Why strange? It seems that the over-temp shutdowns are doing what they are supposed to do and don't often cause a shutdown. That it does when you put it in direct sunlight would certainly tax the heat control issues of any electronics device.

If there ever was a place for loser pays lawsuits, this one should be at the top of the list.

Reply to
Lloyd Parsons

No kidding. But this is Steven.

Reply to
John Navas

History has already told us that in a REAL disaster, significant amounts of critical communications will likely be carried by amateur radio operators. The cell phone networks will collapse, as well as the wire-line networks. Those with the uninformed, short-sighted view of hams as geeks hogging spectrum which is sorely needed by those sacred "communications companies" need to get a reality check. The first thing to go in our modern society after a major catastrophe will be the commercial communications that we depend upon for everyday existence.

The communication facilities that hams employ (which consists mostly of technology of their own creation when it comes to the most sophisticated among them) is head and shoulders above anything that is found in the commercial world. Anyone with the attitude that hams are just kids that are unnecessarily indulged by the FCC and serve no purpose reveals his own lack of depth of understanding of the real world.

Reply to
John Higdon

I don't want unsightly antennas. This is the modern, aesthetic world. This is no longer the slash-and-burn is the rule. Cell antennas are being disguised as fake trees and bird houses and all kinds of things. I'm not asking companies to limit their antennas, just make them pleasing or invisible.

Reply to
David Kaye

In the 1989 Loma Prieta quake the phone system did not collapse. Remember, I was working in the call center business at the time. Secondly, 2-way did not collapse, either. Now, I'm not making any bets that the trunked systems in use now won't collapse since they're dependent on central coordination that wasn't needed when simple 2-way was the norm.

Given that the CHP still uses the "old fashioned" 2-way technology, I'd say that they'd survive just fine, as will small local companies and whatnot.

This didn't happen in Loma Prieta, even though the entirety of SF lost power for 36 hours.

Reply to
David Kaye

As earthquakes go, Loma Prieta was not all that big. Odds are very high that when (not if) the Hayward fault finally goes, it's going to be a lot worse than Loma Prieta.

jc

Reply to
jcdill

So you're saying that all other things being equal, a 800MHz signal and a 1900MHz signal will penetrate typical buildings and other structures equally?

Reply to
DevilsPGD

It may not have collapsed but it wasn't exactly working well either. Yes, of course, something like that provokes a massive surge in call volume at the worst possible time.

It took my Bay Area colleages many, many hours to get a message to me overseas; cellphone to NY and then conventional service from NY to London.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

What history (other than anecdotes)?

I respectfully disagree.

Reply to
John Navas

For which ham wouldn't have helped. First responders were and are in a different service category.

Reply to
John Navas

Which is of course quite reasonable. But the cell companies would rather complain about local zoning in the hope of getting license to slash-and-burn, simply because it's more profitable.

Reply to
John Navas

Read the cited references.

Reply to
John Navas

Which cell phone, and which provider, was able to reach New York from the Bay Area? I want one of those.

Reply to
Char Jackson

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The cellular phone is one of the greatest safety gadgets ever invented....

Simply the ability to call 911 in time of emergency is all that's needed to make your statement moot.

Obviously, you've never been broken down in the middle of nowhere on the interstate....

Reply to
Larry

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in news:i2ratc$tt7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Thanks. We'll make sure no person named David Kaye gets a message out in the earthquake.

Reply to
Larry

Reply to
John Navas

Your argument doesn't apply to a neighborhood, the subject at issue.

Cell phones aren't all that dependable. I've been in the middle of nowhere many times with no cell signal. If you really care about safety, then you'll carry a PLB or sat phone. You might as well argue for gas stations every 5 miles in rural areas.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.