radio chip replacement

Is it practical to replace the radio chip in a Linksys WRT54GS version

2 router. I have acquired two that were fried from running the power set too high. Rest of the router works OK and they are running DD WRT firmware. Setup shows transmit was set to max on both routers.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE
Loading thread data ...

considering the new price it's possible but uneconomical

Reply to
atec 77

Try resetting the firmware to defaults before you attack. Miracles are often useful.

The power amp is mostly likely blown. 250mw out will not hurt the power amp at room temperature, but will fry the chip with a high ambient temperature or if air circulation is somehow blocked. At

250mw out, the chip dissipates about 1.5 watts. At 50C/watt, the case will run at: T = 25C + (1.5watts * 40C/watt) = 100C That's rather hot.

I've replaced 2 of these chips with 50% success. The first, I attempted with a soldering iron and solder wick. I trashed the board. The 2nd I did with a hot air soldering iron, which was both easier and worked just fine.

I'm not sure which chip is used in the version 2 hardware. My guess(tm) is a SiGe 252x chip such as:

I have a v2 in my palatial office and can check the chip number if necessary. You'll have to open up your router anyway, so you might as well do the part number research yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, JIMMIE chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Some routers used to have MiniPCI cards with the radio on, in which case it's eminently possible. I'm not sure if that model was one of them, however.

Reply to
alexd

Hardware v1.0 and 1.1 have a MiniPCI RF card inside. All the other mutations have the wireless devices on the main board, usually buried under a metal shield.

Random photos:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think I know why the routers overheated:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Argh. Only the 1.0 version has a MiniPCI card. The 1.1 and up are on the motherboard.

Sorry(tm).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks but now that I see the size of the chip.....

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.