Network connection folder is blank!

Hiya, I posted a couple of days ago to this group, about buying and setting up my first wireless modem router, and got many helpful replys. I bought the Belkin (54MB/S) from Argos for £69.99 - It was slightly cheaper on Ebay, but I wanted to get it set up this morning!

All seems fine. Just a couple of things. My fiancee has a new Packard Bell 'East note' laptop with WiFi. She doesn't want a wireless connection all the time (She's often (mostly) playing on Sims 2!), so when not in use, she presses the function button together with the key at the top with the wireless symbol, to disconnect. It disconnects fine, but when she try's to connect later by press the same two buttons, it seems to take a very long time to connect. When you press the two buttons, it seems like nothing has happening, no hour glass showing, no freezing. But after about 30 seconds it connects to the network. Is this normal? Is there a better way to dis / reconnect?

Second thing is, she was on the net a little while ago, then disconnect from the wireless network and used Media Player. She then when to connect again, but the wireless icon had disappeared, and if you opened the 'Network Connections' folder, it was completely empty! She Re booted and everything was back to normal. Has anyone else had this? Or is it just 'one of those things'??

One final point. I'm thinking it's fine to leave wireless routers on 24/7? So that if she decide to pop on the net anytime, she can? It's quite nice to have a modem permanently connected to the net, and have the 'always on' connection. Before, we had to 'dial' our connection every time with our USB powered modem!

Cheers,

Matthew Long

Reply to
Matthew Long
Loading thread data ...

30 seconds is not bad to reconnect

not sure on the WMP related item

my BT Voyager 2000 is on all the time.............since February.......make sure its Firewalled.....in theory with BB they are designed to operate this way.

Juan

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.