Need multiple internet IP's for 2 home pc's on router.

I have 2 computers in a network thru a router. Is there anyway I can have seperate ips for each computer for the web, without using a proxy server?

Reply to
junk419
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com hath wroth:

1. Use an NAT router. It's similar to a proxy server without all the configuration exercises. All consumer wired and wireless routers offer NAT. Since you didn't specify the make and model of the router, I'll assume it's something rather special that uses a proxy server.
  2. Have your ISP supply you with more than one IP address. No router required. Just plug an ethernet hub or switch into your cable(?) modem and each computer will have its own routeable IP address. Just make sure the software firewall and security in each computer is functional as you will not have the protection of the firewall in the router. It's also highly likely that your existing unspecified router will not work in this arrangement as most consumer routers cannot turn off NAT.

What are you trying to accomplish and what do you have to work with?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

| I have 2 computers in a network thru a router. Is there anyway I can | have seperate ips for each computer for the web, without using a proxy | server?

If what you mean by "separate ips" is to have 2 public IP addresses that the rest of the world sees, you would not get that by just having a proxy server.

If what you mean by "separate ips" is to just have a couple IP addresses that each computer can have, but have them be seen on the net under the IP address your provider gives, which a proxy server could do, then NAT is what you want (and should be part of any decent broardband router).

If you really do what each computer to show up places on the net as if they really are from separate IP addresses, you will first need to get

2 IP address assignments from your provider and pass them through the router unchanged (perhaps turn NAT off). The provider may charge you an extra fee for the extra IP address; they have to pay for more bulk IP allocations when they run out.
Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Well I have RoadRunner and I read that they only provide dynamic IP's, so I guess that means they won't give me another? Plus I really not interested in paying extra right now.

I use a Belkin router. What if I connected the other computer just temporarily to a dial up modem and used one of RR's access #'s they give out for when traveling? That would give me 2 different IP's wouldn't it?

Thanks for trying to help me on this!

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

Reply to
junk419

| Well I have RoadRunner and I read that they only provide dynamic IP's, | so I guess that means they won't give me another? Plus I really not | interested in paying extra right now.

It's possible to get 2 or more dynamic IPs by registering 2 or more MAC addresses with them, and somehow getting those MAC addresses exposed to their DHCP server ... provided they are doing the DHCP thing. If they are doing PPPoE, it would be a lot harder to set up and require many of those hard steps on their end (e.g. it won't happen). Or it could be done with a 2nd cable modem attached to a router that can do 2 PPPoE's (no idea if the Belkin router can do that) or attached to a 2nd router.

| I use a Belkin router. What if I connected the other computer just | temporarily to a dial up modem and used one of RR's access #'s they | give out for when traveling? That would give me 2 different IP's | wouldn't it?

The routing in RR's network would send all the traffic to the IP in the dialup pool over to the dialup servers, and out to the 2nd computer on the dialup line. You'd have to leave it there on dialup and get slow dialup speeds. You'd have 2 IPs, but it would just be one computer connected one way, and the other computer connected the other way.

To get the 2nd IP to come through the cable line, you'd have to somehow get that IP into at least one routing table (and likely many tables) to gateway it to the router they are using to serve the other end of PPPoE, and in that router's routing table to gateway it to your 1st dynamic IP.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.